Monday, January 5, 2009

It's a Keeper!

I don't think I've posted about a recipe before . . .

Life is crazy-busy as usual. One of my kitchen appliances that I love and rely on 2-3 times a week is my crockpot. I have 4 different crockpots and use them all frequently. Since January is filled with evening activities, in order to feed my people before 8:00 p.m. I have planned a number of crockpot days into our menu. I tried a new recipe yesterday in my crockpot that I simply must share. If you are fond of Chinese type dishes this is a good one for you. A big thank you must go out to Toni Gibbons for putting this one in our family cookbook last year. (Actually, Toni must be thanked for a couple of "keepers" from this book. Yeah for Toni!)

Cashew Chicken -- crockpot
1 can Golden Mushroom soup
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast tenders or breasts sliced thin
1 (8 oz.) can water chestnuts, drained
1 (4 oz.) can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup shredded carrots (or 2" long julienne strips)
1/2 cup cashews

In crockpot combine soup, soy sauce and ginger. Stir in chicken, mushrooms, celery, carrots and water chestnuts. Cover; cook on low 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Stir in cashews into chicken mixture before serving. Serve over rice.

For my family, I boosted amounts of celery and carrots and added a few strips of onion. Everyone loved it despite a few first impressions of "gross, Mom!" Anyway, give it a try. Couldn't be easier. I am also adding this one to my "stored food" menu. The changes will be using canned chicken, dehydrated celery and carrots. Probably have to add a bit of water or broth.

Happy eating, everyone!

6 comments:

Allie's Antics said...

Looks yummy! I love using my crockpot also. If I don't have something going by 2:00pm, it doesn't happen. Thanks for the recipe!

Child Family said...

Sounds delicious, I'm printing the recipe now. I just made a FAILED recipe in the crockpot last night and will not try a new one without a recommendation for long time.

Christie said...

I'll give it a whirl. Sounds yummy! (With crockpots I almost feel like dinner makes itself. :)

Liz H said...

Julie:
Stephanie just added two bread recipes to her blog. I love homemade bread - especially when a friend makes it for me. (Yes I'm hinting.)

I knew you were a bread maker - so head over to her post and get the recipes!

http://adailyscoop.blogspot.com/

I'm also going to try your crock pot recipe. I love the crock pot, but like everything else in the kitchen I fail to use it to my advantage. I break out in hives just looking at that room........
Liz

Kelsie said...

Sounds good! I'm always looking for new recipes, so feel free to share more! :)

Amber said...

Oh, sounds so yummy...I think I will try it TONIGHT! Maybe I should go eat breakfa...errr lunch! oops, no wonder I'm hungry!