Monday, May 12, 2008

A Lovely Mother's Day

The day started with sounds of little boys trying to be quiet in the kitchen. Not sure whether to run to the kitchen in a panic or fake being asleep, I just laid there and smiled to myself. Not many minutes later, a cute little boy (Dallin) grinning by the side of my bed quietly asked, "Mom, what do you want for breakfast?" (So sweet!) told him that I really wanted to have some oatmeal (my favorite) for breakfast, but I would get up and help him make it. "But Mom, it's Mother's Day and I wanted to do something SPECIAL!" I let him know that getting the newspaper and setting it on my chair at the table would be great, because I love to read the paper while I eat breakfast. Off he went! I dragged myself out of bed and down the hall to discover Jesse pouring over one of my cookbooks (the one with the healthy stuff). "Mom, I can't find that one recipe for the cold oatmeal you like. I wanted to make it for you." We locate the recipe and he gets to work. What a great morning!

After breakfast I was presented with a Mother's Day offering from each child. Amber gave me a framed photo of herself she had taken at Young Women. Jacob gave me a great card where the petals unfold to reveal why he loves me and a small photo and frame he made at school. Jesse made a great card that unfolded a number of times to expose a growing flower with the saying, "My love for you grows and grows and grows." Very, clever. He also made a year calendar displaying a different art project he had made for each month. Dallin gave me a darling set of his hands traced onto card stock and laminated with magnet on the back to put on the frig. On each of the fingers he had written why he loves me. David had already given me the tile with his handprint, but we admired it some more. What wonderful stuff! I really love these truly heartfelt gifts.

Church was enjoyable as usual. I loved telling all the gals in Relief Society "Happy Mother's Day". We have lots of older sisters in our ward, and they are so fun to visit with. After church we piled into the van for a trek to Lewiston for Mother's Day dinner at Grandpa and Grandma Gibbons'. Great visiting, laughing, running around and, of course, food resulted in a wonderful evening. Overall, a very great Mother's Day.

Being a mother of five children often makes me weary and cranky. I don't really compare my mothering to others simply because no one really knows what goes on behind closed doors, and what happens at the grocery store isn't a good indicator of reality (good or bad). Over the years, I've learned to let a few more of the nonessentials (scrapbooking, volunteering in every child's classroom regularly, etc.) go by the wayside. I think this has helped me to focus on the most important things and then just try my best to be happy, kind, and not too controlling. Hopefully, that will prove successful in the end. Sister Beck's talk in October 2007 General Conference titled "Mothers who Know" was a great boost for my spirit and a wonderful motivator to continue pressing forward in the adventure of mothering. One of the best things about being a mother is hearing the reasons my children love me, even if they are no more earth-shattering than making great cookies!

3 comments:

Christie said...

I like reading the paper while eating oatmeal for breakfast too. No wonder we're friends! I too had a great Mother's Day. But today I got the best compliment of the month from my 14-year-old son. He said, "Mom, you're a lot more patient and fun in the past year. You'll do great teaching the girls piano." Who knew he'd noticed?

Flashlight Girl said...

I hope that moment with your son was forever burned into your mothering returns memory bank!

Child Family said...

You were there to make a big impression on me when I was a new mother. I think you are a great mother and example to other mothers.