Friday, April 25, 2008

Who's Your Best Friend?

After a long, tiring day, Todd finaly came home from work about 10:30 p.m. Not only did he find me awake at the table waiting for him (making a grocery list), but David (our youngest) was up, too. This night-owl behavior on David's part largely resulted from his falling asleep at 6:30 for a bit. UGH! Well, he didn't want to stay in bed once the other boys were asleep because that's kind of scary. He wanted to sleep in Mom's room. Not in my bed, but in his special spot next to the bed. After years of being the Nazi "stay in your bed" parents, Todd and I caved with David. For a couple of years now, he's had a foam mattress that periodically makes its appearance at the side of my bed. He sleeps there when he's sick, scared, or whatever the reason he thinks he needs to sleep there. After a night or two, he makes it back to his own bed for a few weeks or a month, then he's back.

Last night, however, Todd and David had a particularly enlightening discussion as David was being tucked-in. It when something like this:

Todd: "Dave, who's your best friend?"
David: "Mom."
Todd: "Who is your second best friend?"
David: "Jacob."
Todd: "Who is your third best friend?"

The questioning went on until David had exhausted his list of siblings and his buddy down the street.


Todd: "Who is your tenth best friend?"
David: shrugs
Todd: "Am I one of your friends?"
David: "You are my 11th friend."


HA! Okay, by this time I was feeling a mixture of pity and delight. Poor Todd. He's going to have to work on what it takes to be a four-year-old's best friend. But guess what? I'm David's BEST FRIEND! How wonderful! Okay, I admit I spoil this little boy, but I'm getting tougher. Just yesterday I was talking with my mom about how sad I will be when this last guy goes to Kindergarten. Having my babies grow up isn't as great as I thought it would be. On the bright side, David says he's going to marry me and then if I get old and be the Grandma, I'll live next door to him. Fantastic!

1 comment:

Christie said...

What a sweet boy! Someday you can really embarrass him by reminding him that he once said he's marry you. In the meantime, just enjoy his precious sincerity.