Amber and I went swim suit shopping today. What a joke! Are there really so few girls/women that want to cover up their bodies that one-piece swim suits have gone the way of the dinosaur? The only one-piece suits in the major department stores are way too "motherly" or "grandmotherly" for teenage girls. What a nuisance! Now I know, and witness to the fact, that many find the "tankini" the way to go, but really, isn't this just a subtle way to lower the standard a bit? Doesn't it stand to reason that those tankini tops will get shorter? Remember the "flaxen cord" and being "led gradually down to hell" phrases from the Book of Mormon? Perhaps I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but I don't think so.
After a very discouraging morning, we decided to head over to TJ Maxx-- just to see. As we walked to the store, I said a short, but very heartfelt, prayer that we would be able to find Amber a swim suit. I'm a firm believer in the 1 Ne 3:7 doctrine relating to when the Lord asks us to do something, a way will be provided that it be accomplished. Amber is so willing and sincerely wants to wear modest clothes. She is so obedient and wants to do what is right. If there was anyone who certainly has lived obediently in heart and action and deserved to receive one of those "instant" blessings, it's Amber. With that prayer in my heart, we ventured forth. There, with the closeouts and other apparent cast offs, were a few more one-piece, age appropriate suits! We even found one we liked! Better yet, it was only $13!!!
Now, I'm sure some will label this a coincidence. Not I. This was just one more in a long list of "small things" that evidences Heavenly Father's love for His children. Even more wonderful, His love and concern for an obedient 12 year old girl.
2 comments:
Aaah, the joys of swimsuit shopping. Sigh. You might want to check out Landsend.com. They have many modest suits. And about tankinis -- you're right, many are just a subtle substitute for bikinis. But I've also seen some one-piece suits that aren't modest at all either. I, for one, plan on getting a tankini from Landsend (it has to pass the 'put your hands in the air' test -- for me and my girls). Having a takini will finally make it easy and convenient to use the bathroom in a swimsuit without stripping naked. (Remember the days of one-piece underwear?)
Hi--I'm Kelsie, Rob's wife. He sent me the link to your blog the other day and said to look (since that's what I usually do when my babies are napping and I should be cleaning the bathroom.) You have good stories--we laughed at your little boy's list of best friends. :) So cute. And congrats on finding a swimming suit--I think we all need our prayers answered in that part of life!
Post a Comment