Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Joys of a Saturday Morning Run

Now that the weather is nicer, I finally feel like I can venture outside for a long Saturday run. (I use the term "run" loosely here. I'm definitely a "plodder-alonger" on the running scene.) I waited longer to head out and get started due to the blustery conditions, but I was rewarded for my stalling. Just as I came around the corner of my house, I saw my friend, Laura, coming around the corner on a walk/run adventure of her own. Lucky day! We went for 3 miles together and then I went on for 2 more alone.

It was so nice to have someone to chat with while plodding along. Laura is trying to build up her endurance to do more running than walking, so I think it was a good workout for her. I did walk with her a bit, but I didn't mind as we were having a great visit. When I first moved to Taylor, Laura was one of the gals that I worked out with a couple times a week at the church. We lasted for about a year and then everyone got too busy to commit to show up on a regular basis. Laura is a wonderful woman-- lovely, adventurous, bright, sense-of-humor, etc. We chat briefly at church when we get the chance, but she serves in the Primary and I in Relief Society. Today was a great day to catch up, have a few chuckles and encourage each other on our attempts at healthy living.

The last two miles on my own were pretty decent as well. I'm getting back into good enough shape that 5 miles, although time-consuming, is really a comfortable distance. I have to work hard at staying focused, but physically I feel great when I'm out there. The first mile is always the hardest. I am constantly psyching myself up during that first mile. Generally by mile two, I've found my groove and provided I'm not too tired from the night before, I enjoy my run.

During the week I spend the majority of run time on my treadmill. I really am grateful for that machine! I can push myself to run a little harder, faster or longer more easily on the treadmill than outside. Saturday and my longer outside runs are a reward for the week's work on the machine inside.

I really wish that I had learned to enjoy exercise/running much earlier in life. Maybe I wouldn't have had my battles with the scale over the years if I had learned sooner how to be active. Oh well. It doesn't really matter now. I'm just going to keep working on this body of mine. I know I'll never win any races or fit into some really skinny jeans, but I feel good and have the energy I need to take care of my family and enjoy my life. That's a real blessing in today's society of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and those the other health issues.

1 comment:

Christie said...

Fellow exercisers, UNITE! I'm impressed with your dedication. But just so you know, your battles with your weight were visible only to you -- I've always thought you to be a slender thing. (I remember in high school you had a pair of dance sandals that had ties that wrapped up around your ankles. You looked awesome in them, and I was always a bit jealous of your nice legs when you wore them.)