Saturday, April 19, 2008

Project Man is at it Again

Did I mention that we're adding on to the house? Oh, yes. This is Project Man's biggest event yet. When we remodeled the house before moving in, that stressed out both of us mentally, physically and financially. We agreed that waiting to add on the the house was the wise thing to do. Well, now the time is at hand.

True to form, we are living up to the phrase that has followed all Bairds since we can remember. The exact quote from the History of Lewiston-- "And the Bairds moved to Lewiston and experienced many hardships." Yup, that's the legacy. Well, we discovered that before we could start adding on, we need to install a new septic system and add on to the septic drainfield. In other words, fork over another $4000 and dig up your backyard. UGH! Tonight, Todd borrowed the neighbor's backhoe and started to dig. This is going to be a really long couple of months.

I am grateful for Project Man's handiness. He loves working with his hands and his brain. Basically, he really likes to work in general. He has slowed down a bit over the years, however. He still out paces most men/women/children I know, myself certainly included, but it is a bit more manageable now. He used to just wear me to a frazzle with the constant barrage of projects on his list. Maybe I've adapted as well. I've learned to just get out of the way, but be close enough to be within earshot if needed to hold a tool, run to the hardware store, or give a second opinion. I'm not much good for seeing if things are straight though. Putting in fence posts stinks! Project Man is pretty good at going behind me and fixing my mistakes. (Fussy, fussy!)

I'm sure future posts will include lamentations on the mess, stress, and duress of adding on to the house. Be forewarned.

1 comment:

Christie said...

I love reading your entries. They make me wonder if I'm reading a perspective that my mother could relate to. She is married to a project man too -- only now he's retired. Which means that he's working harder than ever. (Except on days his body gives out.) I think you're a real trooper and your attitude is great! Even if you spout off on your blog. That's what your supposed to do. :)