1. Masterpiece Theatre has done it again! A new miniseries of Jane Austen's Emma has been broadcast the last couple of weeks with the final installment being Saturday night. "But I love the Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow!" (I can hear you.) Yes, I too enjoy the Paltrow movie, but. . . I think I love this new production more. (Providing that they get the ending right and not do something lame like they did with the Persuasion ending last year, but that's a whole other issue.) The casting of Romola Garai as Emma is wonderful. She is just as vivacious, mischievous, and clueless as one wants her to be without being completely infuriating (only when she's supposed to be). She's lovely and I love her portrayal. Johnny Lee Miller is a great Mr. Knightly, too. Perhaps a little more understated than in the Paltrow version, but his character is true to the book and the writers have done a great job adding little peeks into his evolving relationship with Emma. There isn't a weak link in the supporting cast either. Everyone is annoying or lovable as they should be. I especially love the casting of Miss Bates. She is much less of a caricature in this production and evokes ones sympathies better, thus bringing us to the horror of Emma's rudeness on Box Hill which is always painful to watch or read. I can't wait for the final installment. They had better get the ending right! P.S. I've already pre-ordered my DVD via Amazon. Yeah!
2. Parent teacher conferences were today. I always count this as one of my favorite days. I love to hear that my boys are well-behaved, working hard, and are generally appreciated by their teachers. Payment to the mommy bank, cha-ching!
3. My birthday. Although maybe not loving turning 38, I have so much to be grateful for. My family of origin spoils me with a couple of days of fun which I thoroughly enjoy. However, between partying with my family and keeping up with my children and husband, my house needed some serious attention on my actual birthday. Generally, I don't really groove on housework, but I was so happy so spend my day scrubbing bathrooms, vacuuming and catching up on the laundry. I didn't go anywhere until Cub Scout Pack Meeting that night. The other really cool thing was that Jesse was sick and home from school to hang out with me. (Not cool that he was sick, however.) We did homework and worked on social studies projects and just generally hung out. It really did make my day. He volunteered to vacuum as a birthday gift. (Yipee!) Jacob's gift was no fighting all day. (This is a serious testament to his love for me. I hope I never forget it.) He stuck to it all day. GLORIOUS! The other children showered me with many "I love you"s and hugs. Yeah for me! Todd felt bad that he had YM commitments that night, but really I'd had such a nice day that I didn't mind. We are going on Saturday night for a birthday date.
4. A new calling. I am currently serving as the Relief Society secretary. This will make my fourth Relief Society presidency, but I've never served as secretary. The women I'm serving with are awesome and I think it will be wonderful. It always is.
5 comments:
yay for the little things in life that help us keep on goin! AND, congrats on the new calling...you are wonderful!
Happy Birthday, Julie! It sounds like it was a great birthday season!
When the weather warms up, I think we need to bring all our boys (and Amber:) ) and meet at a park! I love to keep in touch, and it would be so good to get together! It's been like 5 years, so it's time!
Happy Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had a lovely day! Congrats on your new calling! You will do a fantastic job at it. :) Can't wait to see the new Emma. That is also one of my faves! Thanks for the tip!
I watched the first Emma episode and loved it! I thought I had recorded the second episode but I looked yesterday and it didn't record so I'm going to have to watch it online before the final episode tomorrow. Rob can't wait. :)
And happy birthday!
I watched the first two episodes of Emma, but forgot about the third. When I tuned in Sunday evening at 8PM it was Jane Austen's "Northanger Abbey" instead. (Which was pretty good too.) I'll have to follow your lead and order my own DVD on Amazon.
Sorry I missed sending you birthday greetings. Consider this a belated birthday shout out! I'm so glad you're my friend. (And that you'll always be just a smidgin' older than me. Tee-hee. BTW up until end end of January, I thought I was turning 39 this year. How bad is it when you don't even know how old you are?!)
Post a Comment