I just watched a little video clip from KSL's Studio 5 program declaring that home canning was one of the new "trends" for 2010. Seriously? Who knew that all of us gals that have been canning for years due to budget issues and garden surplus were cool before our time? I'm really feeling cool right now. Well not really, more dumbfounded. I will, however, list a couple of things that I like about canning. Just to show that I'm not just jumping on a popular bandwagon, but am a true trendsetter. . .
1. I like being able to control the ingredients I use. No high fructose corn syrup, low or no salt, etc.
2. Everything just tastes better.
3. When I use produce from my garden or trees or cast offs from the neighbors, the food is practically free. Love that!
4. I get serious satisfaction from doing a job that STAYS DONE for a long time. (Unlike dishes and laundry.)
5. Project Man thinks I'm totally awesome when he sees the fruits of my canning labors. (And yes, he is right!)
6. I like to experiment. I try to make one different recipe each year. Generally it's something as benign as jam, but I have bottled my own beef stew before.
There you go. Now I will go walk into my fruit room, look around at the glorious bottles, and think to myself how trendy I really am.
2 comments:
You knew you were trendy all along! Even if you weren't you ARE awesome, love you!
This past summer I informed my husband that I would NOT be canning for the rest of my life. At the time it was more a statement regarding the size of our garden/orchard and expressed my feelings of anxiety about the onslaught of produce. We'll see if my statement was true or not. Given the economy and uncertain political future, I'm sure that I'll be canning for many years. This next season we for sure need tomatoes and beans. Even if I am teaching. My biggest problem is that I make canning out to be this huge headache. And then when I actually get down to doing it I realize that it's not so bad. (I've got to quit making mountains out of molehills -- or out of green beans, as the case may be.)
Thanks for your positive words about canning.
Post a Comment