Tonight was the adult session of our Stake Conference. Our visiting authority was Elder Carl Cook of the Seventy. Funny thing though, this isn't my first Stake Conference where he came to visit. Back in the olden days while we lived in Clearfield (love you all, btw) Elder Cook visited our stake in company with Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin. At the end of Elder Cook's remarks during the evening adult session, almost as an after thought, he commented on Elder Wirthlin and his wife. He told of driving Elder Wirthlin home after an assignment together. Although the hour was very late, Sister Wirthlin was waiting up for Elder Wirthlin to return. She had a light on in the living room and greeted him (Elder Wirthlin) with a hug and kiss and words of endearment. Elder Cook then challenged the couples to show that kind of devotion and love towards each other. He stated that witnessing that tender moment had created a desire in him to do better. As he shared this experience, I was having some feelings of my own. At the time of the conference, Todd was serving in the Bishopric and working insane hours. (Not much changes, does it?) Our children were small and would go to bed around 8:00 p.m. That would leave a couple hours for me to do the things I needed/wanted to do, but very often would then go to bed before Todd arrived home. At that conference I had the feeling that I should follow Sister Wirthlin's example and wait up for my husband. Since that time, I've really tried to do this. I'm not perfect at it, and sometimes I regress terribly. But overall, I've done this and it has really strengthened our marriage. Now before someone points out that this is no big deal, just recall that Todd will often get home about 10:30-11:00 p.m. And then we visit about the day, talk about the kids, etc. So bedtime will often be midnight or sometimes later. For some that's not a big deal, but for me it can be difficult to get up the next morning when I need to. I'm not trying to be a martyr or anything like that. I'm just recording for myself that I am doing something to strengthen my marriage and family. Everyone is different. This is just something I'm trying to do.
Back to the beginning. . . Tonight while listening to Elder Cook, this initial counsel and the ways it has blessed my life came to mind. I was grateful to have the opportunity after the meeting to express my thanks to him for this. Tonight's meeting gave me a lot of food for thought and ways to change for the better. I hope that in another 5 or 6 years to be able to look back and see how those changes have blessed my family, too.
4 comments:
I remember that meeting Julie! That really is good advice! I'm sure it really means a lot to Todd...I think it's the little things like that that really are the "big" things. Meaning, it doesn't take much...but means alot! How nice you were able to see him again, and thank him in person. btw...love you too!
Very good advice! One of our previous bishops counseled something similar. He said to always go to bed together, because those quiet moments together in the dark and the quiet were the best time for couples to talk about the day, the kids, the plans, etc. Similar to you, I've found that when we do this more frequently than not, we're closer and more connected. It's hard for us too, because I LOVE to go to bed! Marion, on the other hand, loves to stay up late, and lately has been working late. Anyway, love you too!
I love the adult sessions of Stake Conference! Ours will be this Saturday. I'll have to see what I can glean to improve myself. (Must admit that I retire before Hubby. Only he's been home at a regular time and we've usually pow-wowed. I just can't hold my eyes open as long as he can.)
I also loved Stake Conference! Both sessions were amazing. I took tonz of notes and also have much to work on. But I feel encouraged. Like, I can really do and be what I need to if I rely on the Lord. Loved it! It was awesome! I cried when the kids sang on Sunday. My heart swelled with love for every single one of them! You are an amazing woman. It's fun to see and hear of your experiences as the Bishop's wife... I'm taking notes. :) LOL! Our most tender and meaningful conversations in the past 2 years, have been in those late hours when he gets home. So glad I've waited up for him and been privy to those experiences.
Post a Comment