Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Why do we have Family Home Evening?

Project Man and I were discussing this topic on Sunday after he presented to a combined Relief Society and Priesthood meeting on "family relationships". One hour isn't nearly enough time to cover any material of substance, so he really tries to focus on the most important things. Even with that, he still didn't have time to address the issue of Family Home Evening. We decided that here are just a couple of reasons why we think Family Home Evening is vital in raising our family.
1. It teaches our children obedience to the counsel of the prophets.
2. It gives our children opportunities to teach each other.
3. It provides a place for them to ask questions about pretty much anything.
4. It helps them to learn to be in front of an audience whether it be reading aloud, telling a story, singing or playing music, or praying.
5. Even when things aren't going so well, we stick with it--hopefully teaching them persistence and determination when facing adversity. :)
6. We can bear our testimonies to each other and help each other recognize the Holy Ghost testifying of true principles.
7. Family activities teach cooperation and sportsmanship.
8. We get to eat something yummy and laugh at Jesse's jokes.
9. It teaches our children that we think that they are more important than anything else happening on Monday night.
10. It unifies our family in the gospel and motivates us to "try harder to be a little better."

When I look at that list, I'm amazed at what a simple tool to achieve such amazing outcomes. Now not all Family Home Evening experiences rival General Conference in spirituality, but they are good nonetheless. Last night we worked on our food storage together. I hope that the children are learning the importance of following this counsel and pattern. After that we watched a VERY DUMB movie, a complete waste of time movie, but we all had a good laugh when Jesse declared that "this was the dumbest movie I've ever seen, and I've watched some pretty dumb movies!" We'll laugh about that and enjoy the feelings of unity and belonging that go with that funny memory for quite some time. (giggling as I think about it. . . snicker)

4 comments:

Christie said...

No wonder you guys love laughing with Jesse. What a kick! I bet we've all watched some pretty dumb movies. I enjoyed this post, mostly because I can testify of many of the things you've posted here. What's hard for my kids is to see other friends and ward members who take it lightly. I guess that's hard for me too -- extra temptation to draw my growing kids away from home.

Kelsie said...

Great list. I think a family's dedication to family home evening really does show what is most important in their lives. Your ideas make me want my little girls to grow up experiencing all that you are talking about (even a dumb movie here and there!)

Allie's Antics said...

What a great post. We definitely need to be better with more structure at our FHE. Our one standing weekly announcement is "We are broke". We've said it most every Monday night for the last fifteen years.

Marion Jensen said...

11. Excuse to have treats. Treats with sugar. Lots of treats with sugar.