Thursday, September 18, 2008

An Invitation to Health

Okay, so that's the title of the textbook I'm using for my online Health 1030 class. In a nutshell, this class is a lot easier than I originally anticipated. In fact, I've discovered that I've done a pretty good job of educating myself about health issues over the years. (By the way, I currently have an average of 99% in my scores. WSU, you rock!)

On the flip side of this "Invitation to Health" post is my own current state of physical deterioration. For those unaware, I am SUPER graceful and fell off a ladder a couple of weeks ago. The result being a torn meniscus of my left knee that will be getting scoped out in a couple of days. I haven't done much exercising at all for the past two weeks and that has been rotten. Exercising helps me manage my weight, mood, improves my sleep, and just helps me have more energy. To compound my inability to exercise, I had a horrid cold for the past week. Seriously, I can't remember feeling so crappy. I think that I'm finally on the mend, but I'm still hacking up a lung periodically. Ugh.

My goal with this post is to hopefully inspire (guilt works, too) someone to get a little more active. Walking even 30 minutes five days a week vastly improves most basic functions in the body. The 30 minutes doesn't even have to be all at once. Ten minute "mini" walks 3 times a day work, too. I've been trying to get a few of these mini walks in since I can't seem to walk for much longer than that without too much pain. It's amazing what a few minutes in the sunshine can do for my attitude! Anyway, just do it, people! You'll live better, longer and happier. So, get moving.

6 comments:

Liz H said...

Yeah! I want to live longer so I can walk more. That makes sense to me.
I still think you're great!

Liz H said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelsie said...

1-Sorry about your knee! I hope it all turns out OK.

2-Thanks for the "invitation to health." My running pretty much stops when the cold weather arrives, so I've been trying to take advantage of the nice days we've been having. It always helps to have some extra motivation, though.

Good luck!

Christie said...

After I got off the phone with you the other morning, I needed a nap. You're such a doer. You put me to shame.

After many health struggles and long periods when I couldn't be a doer, I realized that a lot of my self-worth was tied up in what I could do... not necessarily who I was. I'm more balanced now. We all have worth because of who we are, not what we can do. Although being able to DO things is a great tonic for stress, mood, and emotional health. Good luck with your surgery!

Allie's Antics said...

I feel so bad for your knee! That is awful. I know that when I don't get to exercise I feel yucky. I am so glad I have been blessed so far with minimal injury. Just the hip trouble. I hope you get better quickly! And, good for you with the 99percent!

Suzanne said...

I'm so sorry Julie! What a sad thing to have to have 2 surgeries. I hope you heal quickly and they don't find any surprises on the 2nd one!

You are amazing and portray such a positive attitude!