Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Precious Moment of Insight

Normally, I would be teaching a Primary Sharing Time during this hour of a Sunday afternoon. Due to my germ infested body, and those of Jesse and Dallin, I'm home resting. We decided that we should have Primary, just the three of us, even if it would be a short lesson. That, I tell you, has been a blessing to me today.

We started by watching a short DVD about the conversion story of Wilford Woodruff. Bro. Woodruff's search to find Christ's true church touched our hearts. Jesse and Dallin were a bit surprised to learn how seriously some search for gospel truth and Christ's church. Next on the DVD was the old version of Joseph Smith's First Vision with Stewart Peterson. We enjoyed that, too. We moved to the living room, sang "I am a Child of God" and read Alma 34:17-27. We talked about the kinds of things that we can pray for and how our personal prayers are different from family prayer. The Friend magazine had a "Funstuf" page that had a code and a list of kinds of prayers we have in the Church. We solved the codes to discover that one of the prayers is part of a Patriarchal blessing. Dallin hadn't heard of that and Jesse's knowledge was limited, so I decided that this was a good time to explore the topic. We talked a bit and then I felt like I should show them what my blessing looked like (the written copy) and maybe share a few things that might interest them. The following few moments will be written in my heart forever.

My blessing says very little about my future family (I received my blessing when I was 16 years old.). In essence, my family will be happy and that my posterity will find joy in giving of their time, understanding and means for the building of the Lord's work. As I read through those promises, my heart nearly burst with love and the understanding that these darling little boys are part of that posterity. I am so grateful for that witness and moment of insight. I love my children and so dearly hope for them to develop strong, vibrant testimonies of Jesus Christ and His gospel. More than that, I want them to show their faith by serving the Lord in anyway He might need them. I have been blessed significantly today.

I'm writing this post mostly to remind myself in those days ahead when I might wonder if my children are on the right path. I sincerely believe that I've been given this moment today to guide my days ahead. May I always remember this moment and mother accordingly.

2 comments:

Allie's Antics said...

That was a great post. It helped me to realize how special these little ones are. It's all to easy to forget. What a good mother you are for having a primary at home! I am very impressed.

Christie said...

Thanks for sharing your Sunday precious moment. Every now and I then I've had a glimpse of what the Lord has in store for my kids. Those are the best kind of mother moments.