Sunday, August 3, 2008

Wishing I had something smart to say

I often read other blogs and wonder why I don't have any great life changing thoughts to discuss. The truth is my moments of inspiration are brief and fleeting. When I do have an insight on how to solve all the world's problems, by the time I get around to blogging, I've forgotten what my insight was. Sigh.

To make matters worse, I haven't even read anything overly inspiring for weeks. Project Man, who is generally my link to the outside world and my sounding board for ruminating thoughts, has been way too busy with work, the new addition, and helping the boys with football for us to get too much conversation going about world peace and such. The bulk of my intellectual pursuits have focused on reading the morning newspaper, ho-humming about its contents and then casually going about my day. Pretty pathetic. I need some brain food, people!!

Any suggestions for being more observant and insightful and then remembering to pass it on?

Sidenote: I had a funny conversation with my mother, sister and sister-in-law a few weeks ago about children and school and such. My mom claims that she only made a couple of teacher requests for her children over the years. One being to separate me from a gal that wasn't a fabulous influence (she was dead on) and the other to try and motivate one of her sons, to see if he really had any "smartness". Up to that particular time in his life he showed very little interest in reading, math, etc. She wasn't sure if this was simply a lack of interest or of ability, but she knew he was competitive and so requested he be placed with one of his friends who did show remarkable "smartness". It was a good move on Mom's part. My brother's smartness was revealed. (Yup, he was just being lazy.) Anyway, my sister and I laughed pretty hard at all of this and have since wondered what our "smartness quotient" was or is or might be in the future. So now that going back to school is getting closer, I think I had better determine whether I have enough "smartness" and how to pass on what little I have. :)

4 comments:

Kelsie said...

I don't feel very insightful, myself. Pretty practical, these days. And I laughed about your thoughts on "smartness," because I tell Rob all the time that I'm getting less and less smart. It's hard to stay on top of anything intellectually when you spend your days doing laundry, mopping the floor, and building towers out of blocks. I just hope that, some day, some of my smartness will come back to me!

Christie said...

I swear I'm losing brain cells. I chalk it up to motherhood or summer. One of the two. My smartness quotient is definitely shrinking. And I could have written the first part of your blog. Intellectual stimulation hasn't really been on my summer agenda either. And I miss it. I like reading biographies for insight. And just so you know, your blog is a great little biography that you're writing right now. And it's good reading!

Allie's Antics said...

Insightful?? Is that even a word to go with summer? Not really. I think survival, and summer go hand in hand. I am sure my son is frying brain cells doing football. I hope his smartness quotient doens't slowly deteriorate. A good biography to read though, is called "Infidel". It is about an African lady who renounces her muslim faith. It's very INSIGHTFUL!

Marion Jensen said...

Every once in a while, when my boys say or do something blog worthy, I write it down on my smart phone. Because it's smart, and I'm not. It will remember, I will not.

I got a whole weeks worth of quotes of the day up at scout camp.

Those wacky scouts.