I have to brag for a minute about my children. (Drum roll)
On the third Sunday of each month, I have a Primary presidency meeting with the bishopric at 12:00 p.m. It usually starts about 12:15 and runs until 12:45 or so. Our sacrament meeting follows at 1:00 p.m. Generally, I'm stressing out that the kids won't be ready for church when I get home. (This implies that they have managed to feed themselves something for lunch, sort of cleaned up that mess and dressed themselves appropriately for church--shoes on, hair combed, ready to jump in the car.) We are usually about 10 minutes early to church due to my children's abhorrence to being late. Well, for the past two 3rd Sunday meetings with the bishop my boys have surprised me. Today, after my meeting, I quickly walked into the chapel to drop off my bag on "our" bench. Sitting there, looking clean and sharp were Jacob, Jesse and Dallin. They were quietly whispering and drawing something in a notebook. WOW!!! They looked concerned (it was already 10 minutes til) that I hadn't picked up Amber and David yet. I gave them a huge smile, thanked them profoundly, and zipped home to find Amber and David ready and waiting on the front step.
This is the second month in a row that this scenario has played out. Last month, I thought it was a fluke. Now, I'm just a proud mama bragging up my kids!! Way to go, guys!
Most of the time, I seriously wonder if any of my "mothering" is very effective. I am grateful beyond words for this "small and simple thing" that is bringing me joy today and hope for my children's religious observance in the future. When I was expecting David and having such a miserable time, Todd gave me a blessing that basically informed me that Heavenly Father would help me raise these five children and that I had the ability to teach the boys that would come into my home the things that our Father in Heaven would have them learn. That blessing has been such a comfort to me over the years as I've felt miserably lost and underqualified to mother these children. Seeing my children get themselves ready and to church (EARLY!) on their own gives me hope and reassurance in God's promises. A small thing, certainly. "But by small and simple things are great things brought to pass."
4 comments:
The best part of this whole post is the fact that you are celebrating Motherhood (again)!!!!
Every week we have melt down 10 minutes before we are supposed to leave to get to the branch on time. Every week we go over what is expected, needed and BEGGED for on Sunday mornings. Sam is usually gone by 6 am so it's just the four boys and I.
I've resorted to paying for being ready for church and helping me get the baby and my "class stuff" out to the van by the time we should leave.
It's been working for a month and the bribe is starting to go by the wayside (yeah - as soon as they get on board the end of the year is coming and we only have @15 more tries at this until we roll back to the 11:00 hour.....
What great kids you have and what an awesome blessing to show them when they are older and in need of counseling (is that a funny joke in your house?) You could just tell them to go and talk to their Father!!!! (They could take that either way and you still win!);-)
Congrats on the small and simple blessings coming your way. Marjorie Hinckley would be proud!
Liz
I would really be proud if I could just get MYSELF to church on time, let alone everyone else. I can tell you've taught them well ... and you should certainly be proud. I'm impressed.
Playing in the background as I read this entry was "Gonna Fly Now." Very inspiring. Almost like having your life set to a soundtrack. Your kids are great. Probably because they have a great mom!
Good boys! That little skill will help them all their lives.
Post a Comment