Sunday, August 31, 2008

Long Overdue Thanks

Yesterday, Project Man and I decided to go to the temple before the day's events squashed our limited time and energy. We arrived at the temple about 6:50 a.m. Usually Saturday mornings at the temple are bustling, but yesterday it was quiet. (I'm assuming this was due to it being Labor Day weekend.) Anyway, one of the temple workers that was helping me just happened to be someone I've been wanting to see and thank for a number of years now.

Ten years ago when Project Man and I first returned to Utah after a short time living in Oregon, we lived in a small duplex in Syracuse. I was expecting baby number two in a few months and Todd was working lots of hours to get established in his new job. Money was extremely limited. Our ward emphasized "Family Preparedness" frequently, and Project Man and I wanted to do more for our growing family. BUT HOW?

Sister Loosli was our ward Food Storage/Provident Living Specialist. That woman knew how to magnify her calling. She organized monthly dry pack canning outings, taught classes on canning methods, organized "special item" purchase opportunities, and taught classes on how to make wheat bread and other things with wheat flour. She gave me many numerous pep talks that went something like this: "Our Heavenly Father has promised that he will provide a way for us to keep his commandments (1 Ne 3:7). If having food storage is one of those commandments, if we are willing to do everything we can, he will provide the way for it to happen. Pray about it. Be willing to do whatever, whenever and it will happen." After one of these such pep talks given to a general audience at a Relief Society Homemaking night, I decided to put it to the test. The results were quite miraculous.

Although money was tight, we commited to going to the dry pack monthly with the ward and getting a case of just one thing. Usually this was oats or rice as they were the least expensive items. Once I only purchased one can of dried onions, but it was a start. The next summer, I was interested in doing some canning. I told Sister Loosli that if she new of anyone that had extra garden produce or fruit that I was interested. I'd pick it and even pay a bit if needed. I begged jars off of my mother and grandma. Well, we ended up getting free cherries, apricots, peaches, tomatoes, apples, beans ( I froze those), squash and cucumbers. I didn't pay for any of it. We were so blessed. That summer started what has been a very satisfying experience in trying to store food for our family. I can't say that everything is free anymore, but those same principles of being willing and sacrificing a bit of time and energy have resulted in great blessings.

Yesterday I was finally able to tell Sister Loosli "thank you". She was surprised and I think grateful to know that her efforts to fulfil her calling had been useful to someone. I'm a great believer that the "angels among us" are often the Lord's most useful, but sometimes unnoticed, instruments. I'm so grateful for those who have crossed my path and influenced my life for the better. Thank you, Sister Loosli.

1 comment:

Christie said...

I hope Sister Looslie reads your blog. What a tribute! And good for you, putting the Lord's promises to the test. I had a similar experience getting started on food storage with little ones and limited funds. We set aside $25 a month and small miracles happened. Another excellent ward canning specialist gave us a boost. Hooray for people who magnify their callings!