Friday, May 29, 2020

Tested for COVID-19

Today I was tested for COVID-19. Not because I am symptomatic, but because I am having surgery on my right arm again on Monday morning. Although pandemic restrictions are being lifted enough for me to have non-emergency surgery, one of the precautions is testing each patient for COVID-19. The experience was uncomfortable and now I have a headache.  Whether from stress, lack of sleep or the test, I'm not sure. 
The test itself consists of a fully protected nurse carefully inserting a very long, skinny, and lightly swabbed plastic testing stick very far into my nasal cavity while I am sitting in my car. Holy moly! I figured out why they want the patient in the car. Other than to keep things sanitary, when they swab your sinus cavity, one's natural reaction is to lean back away from the pain and stinging. BUT when you are sitting in your car, the headrest on the seat of the car stops your head from going back any further and then the health care worker can continue to see if she can actually touch your brain through your nose.  Maybe that is slightly dramatic, but you have to sit there for almost 30 seconds and it stings!  
I now have compassion for those who have been tested. Ugh!

No comments: