Tuesday, May 19, 2020

"The Saints" and Home Church

I have been reading The Saints: volume 2 for the past couple of months. Today, I finished it. This particular volume covers the time from when early church members left Nauvoo, Illinois to the dedication of the Salt Lake Temple (approximately 50 years). So many difficult topics from the history of the church are covered, and I feel like there was an honest attempt to have full disclosure of tricky subjects and events. As I have been pondering things, I realize that people are basically the same throughout the ages. Some are super faithful, obedient souls. Some are obedient, but struggle with questions and moments of frustration. Some just don't care at all about spiritual things and want to do whatever is easiest. Even others are vengeful and evil.  Many people are well meaning, but ill-informed.  Women are often the bravest and most sacrificing in a community, but rarely given credit for it. But over time, God has a way of molding His people into better, more compassionate, more faithful, Saints. 

Every generation has its defining issues. Every member has to choose for him/herself whether to believe and be faithful. My generation isn't much different than those who have struggled in the past with painful events and difficult doctrines. I am grateful to believe. I am grateful to have lived long enough to have a little perspective and experience with hardship and unfairness. I am grateful for members throughout the world who are willing to sacrifice and obey. I hope to strive for that kind of consecration.

During the COVID-19 epidemic, I has really enjoyed having "church" services at home. Today, however, it was announced that there will be adjustments again and that regular church services will begin soon. I am kind of sad about that. I love being in an environment where all of my children get to participate regularly, bear their testimonies, share their experiences, and grow in the gospel together. We are blessed to have priesthood holders in the home to administer the sacrament each week. Jacob and Baylee usually come over for "church", so there are eight of us. We rotate speaking assignments, conducting, and teaching Come, Follow Me. I play the piano for our music each week, so I actually have to practice. The boys take turns blessing the sacrament. It has been wonderful. Although I will be glad to see ward members, I will miss this special time of "home church" when it ends.

No comments: