Tuesday, April 12, 2011

It’s late and I’m tired, but I really feel compelled to write something no matter how random it might be. The days and weeks are crazy busy this time of year. School is winding down, Spring is here (sort of), and there is a never-ending list of jobs to be done.

Last week was Spring Break for the kids and consequently, me too. I don’t think that I’ve mentioned before that I’ve been working on Thursdays and Fridays at the kids’ elementary school as a P.E. teacher. Yes, I’m teaching P.E. It’s a bit shocking for me, too, but it has been a lot of fun. My schedule starts at 10:00 and I get home about 2:30. All in all, it’s a good gig, but it has had it’s drawbacks. For instance, sick kids. I swear that Jesse has missed almost 3 weeks of school this year for various things. There have been a few of those days that have been days that I needed to go to work. Ugh! Gratefully, he’s old enough to be content watching movies and reading books for a few hours. I, on the other hand, feel like the world’s worst mother when that happens. One of the reasons I didn’t pursue work while the children were smaller was the whole “what do I do with sick kids” thing. Hate that. Earlier in the year when I was just substituting for other teachers, I had more flexibility. I like that. I like being the “real” teacher in charge of my own classes and schedules, but I like being able to say “No, I can’t sub today” if I have sick children. Other perks of this P.E. job are that I am the “fun” teacher. Who doesn’t like P.E.? We play games, run around to music, learn fun, new skills that can be used at the next recess, and other great stuff. I have lots of little friends these days. That part is very fun. However, I’m still not the most graceful of gals and I have taken a few tumbles and suffered a few injuries. Much to my chagrin. Oh, well.

I think I mentioned before that Project Man was building a greenhouse. It is amazing! Seriously, folks, this ain’t no tumbledown shack with a few clear panels. Real windows, floor to ceiling, on three sides, and half of the roof is made of windows as well. There is brick on the floor, a sliding glass door, electricity, heaters, and soon to be adjustable gable vents. Dang it, if I can’t grow something great in there, I’m in such big trouble. We have seeds planted and we’re hoping for great success. With a lot of luck, we’ll be able to supply our tomato growing/selling project with all the plants we’ll need. Besides the actual growing of plants, I really love going out there on a blustery cold day, sitting in the greenhouse with 80+ degrees temps and reading a book. Yipee! Just think what the winter possibilities are!!

The Ogden Temple closed April 2 for a major renovation. It will likely be closed for 2 years. I cannot even begin to express how sad this is for me. For the past couple of years, I’ve been able to make time to go 3 or 4 times a month. Saturday, I woke up and thought to myself,” I would love to go to the temple today,” and then I remembered that it was closed. Sigh. Planning trips to Logan or Bountiful will certainly be less convenient than driving 6 miles. I’ve been so spoiled. I hope that when the temple reopens, I will be one of the first ones there.

No comments: