Monday, March 7, 2011

Making Memories

Tonight was the last night of the boys’ basketball season. Mixed feelings there. Truly, it has been a lot of fun to watch, but it has made the last couple of months a wild tangle of practices, games and fitting in everything else. I think they were a little relieved tonight, as well. I know a lot of their friends are going to play baseball next, but that has never been one of the sports that we have really been very interested in. David will start soccer at the end of this month, but that will be the only sport on the radar, I think. Maybe we can squeeze in swimming lessons for the younger boys, but maybe not. Perhaps we will just glory in actually being home most nights, not having to rush dinner, and being the homework Nazi. Well, okay, I’ll never stop being the Homework Nazi, but that’s my job, right?

Other items worth noting. . .

Last week was David’s first grade program. He was standing on the stage next to his best buddy, Gage, when Gage got sick and threw up all over David’s clothes. Shocked, but okay, he went to the bathroom to clean up. When I got there to rescue him, he was washing up in the sinking with his shirt off. As I started to help him, he whispered, “I almost threw up, too when I saw the mess. But I’m trying to be brave.” Brave he was. Luckily, he had a hoodie to throw on and went back on stage to say his part. But before he could get back on stage, he had to wait in line for a few minutes. While waiting, the girl next to him had locked her knees and fainted right on top of him! Gratefully, a teacher was close by to help with that situation. Soon enough David walked on stage, sang the songs with the first grade and loudly and distinctly (as we had practiced!) said his part, “Richard M. Nixon was the first president to resign his office.” We were so proud. I’m sure none of us will ever forget this program, and what a hero David was.

Oh, we are attempting to build a greenhouse, too. More info on that later.

1 comment:

Amber said...

poor David...I think he was MUCH braver than I would have been, and I would HAVE thrown up! Way to go David!

And her's to a quieter spring! love when things calm down...even though other things always step in...it feels nice for a minute!