Friday, October 22, 2010

A Time Out

Last week we ran away-- to Disneyland! We were away from home a whole 8 days. It was fabulous, I tell you. Project Man and I both slept better that week than we have in months. Which is kind of weird, because I generally don't sleep much when staying in a hotel. I think we were both exhausted mentally and physically.

Anyway. . . The trip was so much fun. The kids are great sports to drive 11 hours each way to Anaheim. We listened to audiobooks and watched a movie, and everyone survived without too much complaining. By-the-way, audio books are awesome. It has been a favorite car-trip strategy for us even before the kiddos came along. So fun.

Also, a tip about Disneyland. Three days is adequate, unless you get sick riding the California Screaming Rollercoaster and have to go home and pass out for half of the day. Then you need an extra day to see what everyone else did on the day you were really stupid and rode a ride you had no business riding.

Also, take a day off to just hang out at the hotel pool for a day, too. Seriously, the pool opened at 8:00 a.m. and I think the boys hit the water at 7:58 a.m. They didn't even take a break until 1:00 p.m. Needless to say, they were wiped out, but very happy. This was the day before we went to Disneyland. It sort of got all the "let's swim" desire out of their system until the 4th day of Disneyland, and they were ready for a break. Good strategy.

Funniest (or most pathetic) child moment was after a long Day 1 at Disneyland, we came back to the hotel to get ready for bed. We started discussing what the next day's events would be to which David (almost 7 yrs) falls on the floor in a heap and cries, "We have to go back tomorrow? I'm so tired. No way!" Yes, that really will get you feeling glad that you forked over $1300 for Disneyland tickets. Gratefully, he was back on his feet ready to go in the morning.

Biggest splurge purchase: Star Wars pictures with the boys' faces in them. So funny. A Christmas card may be in the works. . .

And there is a Wal-mart a 1.5 miles from Disneyland with great, inexpensive T-shirts, mugs, etc. Just keep that in mind before you hand over $35 for a T-shirt at the World of Disney store.

4 comments:

Child Family said...

Love this! Miss you guys. Sounds like so much fun.

Amber said...

glad you guys got to go...I'm thinking D-land should definately be a plan in the works...

Liz H said...

Dang it - a Wal-mart that close????!!!! Uggghhhh - I guess now we'll have to go back! ;) We're taking the kids again in 2012. It was so much fun, even with Michael being almost 3. I can't wait to see how he does as a 5 yr old with limitless energy.

So glad you got to go and I can't wait to see the Christmas card!

Christie said...

Sounds like a great vacation! (I love Disneyland!) (Oh, and I finally got around to posting a blog entry. :)