Wednesday, September 29, 2010
Capturing the moment
This morning as I was giving my younger boys their daily dose of "good-bye" hugs before they got on the school bus, I had an achy, motherish feeling. One of those If-only-I-could-squeeze-you-forever-and-somehow-smoosh-all-of-my-love-into-this-moment kind of feelings. I so do love my children. I love that they are growing into such interesting people. People that I truly enjoy --- most of the time. But every so often that forlorn feeling of "they are growing up and away" sneak attacks me. Luckily, there were no tears, but just thoughtfulness. I am so grateful to be a mother. Hopefully, I am getting better at mothering as the years add up and the children grow. But still the problem of squishing all my love into them at random moments remains. Perhaps that feeling never quite goes away. Which is good, I think. It will move me to continue giving hugs, feeling proud, and listening to random stuff in hopes that somehow all of this will add up to each one feeling that their mother loved them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh - I so know that feeling. Letting them out of the house some days is so hard because I want to love them completely before they go. Like that will give them some kind of protection bubble for what's out there.
I do love seeing who they are becoming though. It makes me so excited for the future and their successes. They are so fun and energetic. I love that!
Thanks for making me a little more thoughtful tonight.
Post a Comment