Today was Field Day at the elementary school. The three oldest boys (Jacob, Jesse, and Dallin) were all selected to run in the 4-man relay race for their class against the other classes in their grade. Each of them were the last runner, and none of their teams finished first, but it was FUN! Each greeted the day with varying emotions: Jacob was studying the competition trying to ascertain weaknesses, Jesse was sick with worry about racing against his friends and desperately not wanting to be last, Dallin was thrilled just to be in the race. I love to watch all of the kids compete and try their best. The entire school looks forward to these races all year long.
I remember back in the day (yes, about a billion years ago) the end of year races. I was fast, but I always seemed to come in 2nd place which was extremely aggravating! Oh well, now when I participate in a race, I know I won’t be anywhere near the front of the pack. It removes all of the pressure, and I can just have fun.
Jacob had his first track meet running with the Ogden Track Club tonight. It was fun and exciting. I think his younger brothers thought that they might want to get involved next year, too.
Tomorrow is the last day of school. Mixed emotions all around. Amber is jubilant that the year is over and is positive that 9th grade must be better than 8th. (I’m not so sure about that. . .) Jacob’s sad to leave his friends and the comfort of familiarity of the elementary school, but so excited to move into Jr. High. Jesse, for the first time ever, is sad for school to end, too. I attribute this is to a good teacher and making some great friends that have spent a lot of time together. Dallin is happy to not have to worry about school work and ambivalent about teachers and friends. David is broken-hearted and gets mad if someone even reminds him that the school year is over. Me? happy and fearful at the same time. Glad to have life a little more relaxed, but worried that the kids are going to rebel at my meager attempts at a routine. They are good kids though. I really just want us all to be happy, productive, and enjoy the summer together.
2 comments:
I love it! I can't believe all your little children are now old enough to run races, go to junior high, help on the farm, etc. I told Sam we needed to sell the house and buy a farm - he just rolled his eyes at me. It's a good thing one of us is sane. ;-)
And now summer begins. It's more running too! (Not that I run anywhere anymore -- I walk mostly, or drive the car.) :)
Post a Comment