It’s been more than a month since I’ve written anything in the way of journaling. Life is always eventful and there have been many things that I’ve wanted to record, but either didn’t want to take the time or was afraid that by trying to record things, some of the “specialness” would wear off of them. Whatever the reason, I’m feeling very grateful and blessed today and need to write it down.
In April I participated in a stake Relief Society production of “The Ten Virgins.” My character was Ashira- a woman who keeps the commandments. When I was asked if I wanted to be in the play, I was so excited! I haven’t had a chance to sing for such a long time and I really do miss it. My speaking part was short (good) and the people in the play seemed nice at our first meeting, so all was good, right? Well, when I went home and read through the entire play I realized that I was going to be a foolish virgin. I was devastated. WHY did I have to be foolish? I so wanted to call the director and beg to have my part changed. I was disappointed and heartsick. Now perhaps I was taking this a bit too personally, but maybe my conscience was being pricked a bit. Do I often do foolish things and let life get in the way of my desires to study the scriptures and give service? Well, yes. As I sat down at the piano to learn my solo, my heart was touched. This part was just what I needed. In Ashira’s song she laments over the many people and tasks that she has responsibility for and that so much of her day is spent caring for the concerns of the people around her that she neglects the most important things. As I sang the words to the song for the first few times, I was overwhelmed by the regret of not being as diligent as I should and the desire to be better. It wasn’t hard to memorize the song as so much of the lyrics rang true to myself.
As the practices and production proceeded I met some wonderful women from my stake that I would have never crossed paths with as their ages and life situations are different from mine. The play itself was a wonderful experience for me. As I sang my song, I really let myself sing out. So often I hold back not wanting to scare anyone. . . kidding, sort of. But I felt the spirit of my message and was able to sing out my feelings. I really hope that someday I get to watch the video recording of it just to see if the play was as good as I felt that night.
The next week, Jacob had an accident at recess and we were worried that he had fractured his back or neck. The school had a miserable time locating either Todd or myself. Todd had stayed at home with David that morning while I went to the temple. They were outside without the phone available and I had accidentally left mine at home. After I got out of the temple (about the time of Jacob’s incident) I ran a few errands around town before heading home. When I got in the house (arms loaded with groceries) Todd was just getting out of the shower and hollered to me that Jacob had been hurt and that I needed to get to the school immediately. When I arrived, Jacob was lying down in the nurse’s office at the school trying so hard to be brave, but very obviously in pain. Soon Todd arrived and we decided to play it safe and call the paramedics. Well, it ended with a ride in the ambulance to the emergency room at McKay-Dee hospital, x-rays, and the good news that nothing was broken. We went home much relieved. He was in a lot of pain for a few days as the bruising healed and his muscles worked out the knots, but he is fine now. So grateful. That day I had the feeling that Jacob was blessed in part because I had gone to the temple that morning. I’m so glad that I followed that prompting that morning to go.
Dallin turned 9 on the and Jesse turned 11. It amazes me how quickly time passes. They are getting so big and smart and awesome.
Last week we bought some bummer lambs that we have been bottle feeding. It has been extra work for me, but the children (and Todd) have really loved it. David especially loves the lambs. He is a very devoted shepherd. He goes out to check on them frequently throughout the day. He sings them rousing renditions of “She’ll Be Coming Around the Mountain.” He is faithfully ready the minute we ask for helpers to go out and feed the lambs. He pulls on his chore boots and races out. He isn’t afraid when the lambs jump on him and nibble his fingers. He just loves them. It has been so fun to watch him learn and grow through the past 10 days or so of taking care of lambs. He is proving to be very responsible.
Todd made an agreement with some retired friends to plant and harvest their garden this summer. Monday night we planted 160 tomato plants, 100 pepper plants, 10 hills of watermelon, 14 hills of cantaloupe, a very long row of onions, 2 very long rows of potatoes, lots of pumpkins, buttercup squash, cucumbers, corn, carrots and I hope not much else. We already planted cabbage, banana squash, lettuce, spinach at home. I have a couple more tomato plants to plant here at the house and a couple of pumpkins. Hopefully things will grow well enough that we’ll be able to use a lot, share a lot and sell some of it. I get tired just thinking about the whole thing, but it will be a good project for us to do together as a family.
Yesterday we held a Gibbons’ family May birthday celebration at our house. It was a lot of work, inside and out, getting a few gross jobs done that we’ve been putting off. Truthfully, I think we should have a party here every month to motivate us. I love having my family visit.
Amber and Dallin performed in their first piano recital yesterday, too. They have worked hard this year taking piano lessons. I’m very proud of them.
As I sit here in Todd’s office looking out at our yard and pasture, I’m so thankful to live here in Taylor, in this house, with my wonderful family. I am truly so blessed.
1 comment:
Soooo glad to get this update. I love it when friends are having 'blessed' moments. I miss you. No one laughs at me the way you do.
Your family is fantastic and I think we all need a reminder of the foolish things we do that sacrifice the eternal things. If you get the video call me and I'll bring the popcorn. I want to see it too.
Post a Comment