So. Much. Fun. I just finished reading Shannon Hale's new novel The Actor and the Housewife. [Warning: Gushy, frothy compliments ahead.] In this completely implausible story a thirtyish Mormon housewife becomes unlikely friends with a Hollywood heartthrob. When I first heard about this book, I thought-- Lame. But then I thought, "But this is Shannon Hale. We thoroughly enjoyed all of her YA novels and LOVED Austenland. So this has to be okay, right?" We all know my qualms with the Mormon fiction genre as a rule, but this isn't that. This was totally cool.
I innocently started the first chapter thinking, I can dabble in this until I really have time to spend with it. Yah right. Within ten pages I was hooked. I was sensible and did put it away to deliver children to football practice, Young Women and Scouts. I did go and participate in Cub Scout pack meeting. I even put it away and visited with my husband after his meetings. [Such RESTRAINT!] Really, it's one of those that tickles at the back of your mind just itching to be scratched. So this morning after the kiddos were off, I settled down to finish it. Sigh. So great.
Now don't think this book is just a fluffy tale. [Well, it is mostly, but that's half the fun.] You will chuckle. You will guffaw. You will GASP! You will utter such phrases as, "holycrapholycrapholycrap!" and "Whoa. Nelly." You will weep so that you can't see to read and have to go find the box of tissues. No really.
I think what I like so much about Shannon Hale's two adult novels is that in many respects, she's got me pegged. She knows that even though I try really hard to be better than I really am, there's that adolescent nut-job still lurking underneath that likes silly dialogue and a crushy romance, but underneath that silliness is a grown woman who loves her husband and family more than anything. Ms. Hale gets all that, plus pokes fun at women like me in a lighthearted understanding way. She does it all in her sparkling style that makes me wish so much that I was a talented writer who could have such stories rolling around in my head and talent flowing from my fingers.
One more bit. Just buy the book. At my library, I am currently the 143rd hold. Gratefully a friend bought the book after I told her I wanted to read it. She shared it with me after she read it and with a sneaky grin said, "I think you're gonna love it. Please love it." Yup, I love it.
5 comments:
You've convinced me. I'm going to print off my 20% off Borders coupon and go buy this book. Oh, and by the way, your post is a fine piece of work itself! Really. I loved the part about still having an "adolescent nut-job" in your personality. So funny! And I could SO relate. But I must go. Gotta get that book.
I NEVER buy the book. I am going tomorrow to buy the book. This sounds so fun!
Sounds like a great book! I am always looking for suggestions. I think this is the same author of Goosegirl? I loved that one as well. Your post was so great. You are a good writer yourself!
Totally gonna read it! Thanks for the book review! Can I just say that I adore you and think you are amazing, cleaver, talented and hilarious! Love your posts!
Just finished it yesterday, in fact! I agree--it was hard to put it down and it was a hilarious book. Best of all it was a "great read".
Post a Comment