Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Warning! A rant ahead

Okay, the past few weeks due to the lack of knowing what to read, having limited brain power to exert, and having pretty high prude standards, I've resorted to checking out a few innocent looking novels from the library. When I looked at the genre classification on the back of the novel I read things like "fiction/general/suspense." No heaving bosoms on the cover or Romance titles, either. Seems innocuous, right? While although the general writing style has been acceptable, the overt evangelical preaching has been downright overbearing. I don't usually read "Mormon" fiction and thought that I'd steered clear of those. Turns out I have found a vein of Christian fiction. I'm not a fan, folks. Yes, I'm a devout Believer but I seriously feel like I've just been chained and coerced into watching TBN (Trinity Broadcasting Network) for hours and being forced to call in my prayers and donations in order to save my soul. AAAAGH! Why don't they say "Christian fiction" or something like that on the cover? It would save a lot of time and irritation. It's almost as if the blurbs on the back are afraid to claim that there is religiosity going on in that book. If the whole premise is to save souls and invite some kind of conversion be bold, not sneaky. I just get really annoyed at books that are constantly throwing it in your face. I wouldn't be surprised to find an 800 number prayer line on the back page. No wonder I read the same books over and over. I at least know what to expect.

I haven't been checking my Goodreads recommendations from friends that closely, but I will certainly do so now if only to save myself from this same situation.

1 comment:

Christie said...

Bummer! I hate it when my reading time gets wasted on drivel. When I first began reading this post I thought you were going to say that you ended up with books filled with smut. 'Cause that's what I've ended up with from my library when I just cruise the shelves looking for good reads. The covers seem innocent enough, but the content isn't.

I'm with you -- books should have more information about what's inside on the outside. Better luck next time.