Saturday, July 11, 2009

On the backside of summer

Did you realize that there are only 6 weeks of summer left? Seriously. To be honest, I don't know whether to rejoice or despair. At the beginning of the summer whilst I was in the throes of overwhelmedness of having 5 kids and a husband home almost constantly, a friend suggested I make a paper chain to count down the days until school starts again. Tempting, I tell you. I refrained, however, holding fast to my pre-summer-vacation determination to enjoy having everyone home. I think I might be making some progress there. Although I've given up on ever having a clean house again and cringe at the thought of feeding people AGAIN, I do enjoy the easy-going, relaxed atmosphere that abounds most days. My children would regard that feeling as being BORED, but I disagree. That just means that no one absolutely has to go anywhere right this minute or they will perish, or never have friends again, or get kicked off the team, or whatever. Love it.

Monday will bring a few changes to the BORING routine.
1) Project Man and Jacob head to Scout Camp for a whole week. This just might suck for me. A couple of days of being gone is one thing, but a WHOLE WEEK? I imagine I'll be parked in front of the TV watching BBC dramas by Thursday in an attempt to cope until they get home Saturday. Anyone for North and South?
2) Swimming lessons. I know many are great fans of getting them done early in June, but I really like waiting until the kiddos are thoroughly bored. Then rather than being something horrid and a pain, swimming lessons are a fun way to break up the day. Plus, it's hot. Yeah for water.
3) Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince comes to movie theaters in the coming week. I have been waiting SOOOOO long! I think I will go by myself first. That way no one can ask me stupid, irritating questions that I will have to give them the "WILL YOU PLEASE SHUT UP!" look. Seriously drives me nuts. If you didn't read the book you have no business going with someone who has until the said book reader has thoroughly enjoyed herself watching it play out on the big screen. Got it? So maybe that means I'll be lucky enough to see it twice before it comes out on video. Wouldn't cry about that.

Summer is shaping up nicely, wouldn't you agree?

3 comments:

Jigglebuns said...

Hey if you decide to go to an adults only viewing of HP call me, I will going alone as well and I promise to not ask stupid questions. :P

Amber said...

At least you are not 8 months and 3 weeks preggo when it's time for scout camp!!!! HP sounds great...although I have not read the books yet...my kids are hooked, so I GUESS I should read them so I know what they are talking about...haven't seen the movies yet either...I know...loser! But a movie with no kids distractions sounds great! Have fun at swimming lessons...you are one smart cookie!

Kelsie said...

I cringe at the thought of feeding everyone AGAIN--and there are only four of us! It seems never-ending!

And although I LOVE the Harry Potter books, I have only seen a couple of the movies ... maybe I should try them out again?

Good luck this week on your own ...