Sunday, March 1, 2009

Fatherly Inspiration

This month in Primary Sharing Time the themes discuss the different roles of family members. Today topic was the role of a father. I get to teach the Senior Primary, which I love, this month. These kids are so receptive and really enjoy working with the scriptures so I tried to organize a discussion/lesson about fathers from the scriptures and what we can learn from them about being a righteous father. Of course we started with The Family: A Proclamation to the World. Next we divided into groups. I chose four fathers to focus on: Lehi, Adam, Noah, and Mormon. The children, with the guidance of their teachers, were to use the information from the back of the pictures (Gospel Art Kit) and their scriptures to discover what these prophets did in their families. The children did a great job with it. However, I really loved doing my own research last night while I was preparing the lesson. Here are just a few of my thoughts.

Lehi: Nephi describes in the very first verse of the Book of Mormon that he had been taught in the learning of his father and that he has goodly parents. As the chapter progresses we are introduced to Lehi the prophet/father. He was righteous, obedient to the Lord, and had a tremendous amount of faith in the Lord and His promises. He wanted to protect his children from not only the wickedness in Jerusalem, but also the possibilities of what would happen to his family if he were killed and his less righteous son, Laman, became head of the family. He took only his most precious possessions with him: his family. When he had the vision of the Tree of Life he desired most to share it with his family. While traveling in the wilderness, he continually counseled Laman and Lemuel to be righteous and love God. (Although, I pretty sure he would have like to drop them off in the desert once or twice.) He read the scriptures and found joy in the message of the gospel. He was a patient husband and father.

Adam: In Moses we learn so much more about Adam than in Genesis. Adam was the first father on this earth. Oh, how much he had to rely on the Spirit to know what to do! He was obedient and kept his covenants with the Lord. He taught his children the gospel. He must have had to work so hard to provide food, clothing and shelter for his family. I’m sure the sorrows with Cain and his many other wicked children left him heart-broken. Only a sure knowledge and unshakeable faith could sustain him in those difficult times. He lived such a long time! I wonder if during those most difficult and heart-wrenching times if he just wished Heavenly Father would take him home. He must have been desperately needed as the leader of his family and the church.

Noah: Do we ever think of Noah as a father? Brave, steadfast, obedient all come to mind. Imagine the wickedness surrounding his family. I’m certain that he knew how to work hard and that he taught his sons to do the same. The hours required to build the ark, and the learning involved are amazing. A very teachable man, indeed. He must have been so patient, or at least acquired patience through the process of building the ark, filling it with animals, waiting for the floods to subside, and the ground to dry out. He had complete trust in the Lord.

Mormon: We learn so much about Mormon through the words of his son , Moroni. He served his fellowman and his God diligently. His greatest desires were for the people he loved to love God and keep His commandments. He taught Moroni the doctrines of the kingdom in such a way as to comfort and direct Moroni’s paths. His ability to abridge the many, many records demonstrate not only his intellect, but his complete reliance on the Spirit to direct him as to know what would be most important and valuable to those reading the Book of Mormon centuries in the future.

Alma the Elder and Alma the Younger: I didn’t have time to talk about these two men in Primary, but they are perhaps my favorite stories of fathers in the Book of Mormon. (Alma 1 refers to Alma the Elder. Alma 2; the younger.) Alma 1 recognizes the errors of his ways and believes Abinadi’s teaching. So much so, that he speaks out against King Noah and is hunted by his guards. But the fire of the gospel can’t be quenched. He must teach everyone he can about the wonderful new truths he has found. He continues this devotion to God and Christ as he teaches his son, Alma 2. When Alma 2 rejects his father’s teaching and is a knucklehead-problem-causer, his father doesn’t abandon his son as a hopeless case. His continual prayers for his son ultimately bear good fruit. When Alma 2 is struck down after his encounter with the angel, Alma 1 fasts and prays for his son’s reclamation and recovery. He asks the church to pray as well. When Alma 2 recovers , his conversion is profound. As he later relates his experiences of being tormented by the knowledge of his sins, he finds hope and comfort in his father’s, Alma 1, teachings of the atonement of Jesus Christ. Just goes to show that even when we think nothing is getting through to the children, something important just might slip in without our knowing. I love the continuation of this father story, however, as we fast forward to when Alma 2 is counseling his sons about how to find happiness and joy in the gospel. Some of my favorite scriptures come from those father’s blessings to Helaman, Shiblon, and Corianton. He sets aside the honors of the world to preach that of real importance to the people of the Nephites. He uses his priesthood to bless his family and others. What a great example.

One common element in all of these stories is that of being a righteous father in a wicked world. All of these men lived among wicked people and during wicked times. All knew what would bring safety, comfort, and joy to their families in this life and in the eternities. Were they perfect? Of course not. But to me these inspiring men and their examples are one more proof that the scriptures “will show you all things that ye should do.”

Next week: Mothers! (Oh dear.)

4 comments:

Amber said...

Julie,
I love these stories of fathers. I too have a righteous father who stands steadfast amid the swirling wickedness that is in our world. I am so thankful for his example in my life, and in the lives of my children. I don't think it coincidence that fathers are strong, protectors, teachers, and providers. They have to do all of these in so many different aspects in everyday life. (Actually I am kind of relieved that all of these are not my responsibility, at least solely anyway.) Hooray for dads! And the mothers next week will be great as well. Where would we be without our mothers?

Allie's Antics said...

I loved reading about the great fathers in the scriptures. I don't think we emphasize enough the importance of fathers. I taught my beehives about supporting family members, and I was surprised at how many of them didn't know much about their dads. I challenged them to spend more time getting to know them, and supporting them.

Fiauna said...

I'm in the senior primary, too. This theme has been a great one. I love studying "The Proclamation."

Fiauna said...

Thank you so much for the editorial note on my blog. I really appreciate your looking out for me.