This week has been officially declared a “no treat” week until Friday night. A “treat” is loosely defined as anything resembling cookies, cake, candy or loaded with sugar. I refrained from including chips and salty things, because I really don’t want a mutiny on my hands. So in order to get my fix, I’m allowing myself to think about treats. Basically, just my favorite snackeroo. Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. And I must say that I make the BEST cookies of said variety. No joke. I’m including the recipe here so you can try it out and agree with me. (Notice, only one option.)
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
½ cup sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup butter or margarine, softened
¼ cup canola oil (can use shortening, but I really hate the stuff)
1 egg
½ tsp vanilla
Mix all together. Add:
1 cup flour
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ salt
1 ½ cups rolled oats (can use quick oats, but old-fashioned rolled oats are better)
1 cup chocolate chips (we like a mixture of semi-sweet and milk choc)
Mix all together. Heat oven to 375. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until light brown, about 10 minutes. Let sit in pan for about 1 minute and then remove cookies to rack to cool.
This is a fairly small batch. It makes between 2 and 3 dozen cookies depending on the size. I generally double the recipe so it lasts longer than an afternoon. The dough freezes well if you like to make it into balls and freeze for future use. It also works well in a “skookie” pan. Just scoop up 1/3 to ½ cup portion and smash it flat between two pieces of waxed paper and freeze. Project Man loves this treat after a night of saving the world therapizing clients. Warm skookie, melty ice cream and chocolate sauce drizzled over top. That is the sound of bliss you hear drumming in your head! (Drooling)
2 comments:
I love that you will write about cookies but not eat them ... you're a better person than I am! :) We are lovers of the skookie, too--I'll have to try your recipe.
hi i have just come across your blog and I loved you recipe,better yet my children loved your cookies..I am on a diet and eating dough before it is cooked doesn't count. I am new to the world of blogging and feel like a wierd stalker reading about people's lives. I feel the need to tell you I have bookmarked your blog. and to tell you that I am not a loner that has no friends and therefore spends all her time reading people's blogs that she doesn't know. It was 2.15 am and baby number 5 had just drifted off to sleep but i just couldn't sleep so I googled lds mums blogs. yours came up and I loved reading it!!I think in your profile you have 4 boys and 1 girl. That is the same as me. Anyway.. thanks for the recipe..Mary-Anne
Post a Comment