Thursday, February 12, 2009

Journey of Faith: The New World

I just watched an episode on BYU-TV that I think was called “Journey of Faith: The New World”. It discussed the possibilities of sites for setting of the Book of Mormon and how these sites, if the actual locations would have influenced the events discussed in the Book of Mormon. Fascinating. I think I may have watched this program, or at least parts of it, in the past, but for whatever reason I couldn’t be pulled away from it today.

One of the concepts that the scholars on the program elaborated on, that honestly, I hadn’t given much thought to before, was that of Nephi and his family encountering the other cultures that were already living in the area. In my mind, it was like a bolt of lightning going off! No wonder they needed the brass plates! No wonder the population numbers are amazing! No wonder the fall into pride and wickedness seemed to be so pervasive and constant! All of the sudden, the “likening” of the scriptures unto myself, my family, and the society that I live in takes on an increased urgency. Some of the people who show up, like Sherem the anti-christ, make more sense to me now. I think he would be likened unto many in our popular culture, even many popular Christian preachers, in that his message was persuasive, persistent, and appealing to many who were looking for an easier path to salvation.

I’ve had a testimony of the Book of Mormon for as long as I can remember, and I just started reading it through again this past month. I am so excited to read tonight! I have a new outlook and increased desire to search out and liken these teachings unto myself and to my family.

2 comments:

Amber said...

alright I'm intrigued (sp?) I want to watch. I love things like that, that give me a different outlook, or make me want to look at things a different way. Although I have to say I am really enjoying studying the D&C with a little more ferver than usual.
\B of M might have to wait

Christie said...

I guess I've never thought about other cultures already being here. The scriptures refer to the land as choice and preserved. Were there other civilizations already here? Hmmm. Good food for thought.