Today, I'm feeling very proud to be an American. Where else can you have such a heated, long presidential battle and within the course of 24 hours of the final election relative peace has returned. No coups. No riots. No murders. Just acceptance of the process and willingness to move ahead. I love be an American.
I'm also a bit in awe today. Although I don't agree with much of President-elect Obama's politics, I can't argue about the historic significance of his becoming the first African-American President in our nation's history. Think about it. Just a short 40 years ago, our nation was embroiled in some of the ugliest hours of our modern history as it regards human rights and civil liberties. I've always be a bit dumbfounded at the idiocy of racism. Today, I'm on the verge of tears with pride that as a nation we've come so far in such a short period (historically speaking) of time. I thrill to think that so many people voted. Our system still works. Isn't it wonderful?
I did listen to both John McCain's gracious speech and Barrack Obama's rousing acceptance. Both emphasized the importance of serving together to make this country better. I believe that. I believe that if those who felt strong enough about the issues at hand, their country, and the future of their familes to get out vote would keep up the momentum and volunteer in their community--serve their country, if you will-- our future as a people will be better than many of us have felt it would be. I hope that Pres-elect Obama can motivate the country as he has during this campaign. I hope that those who didn't vote for him will recognize the importance for all of us to participate in this process of coming together as a nation.
Casting one's vote isn't about casting it for the winner. Even if you voted for someone who lost, you still let your voice be heard. The politicos in power will know that there are those out there who have opposing views or different ideas. Hopefully they will find ways for us all to find common ground. I for one am ready to move forward. Democrat or Republican is not what is important. Being an American and supporting and working for what that stands for is.
2 comments:
I appreciate your comments. I saw on the news a black woman in tears stating how she could now tell her little son that he could become anything he wanted to be. I also cried. I don't agree with all of Obama's ideas, but I do think his idea of change and working together will help us all.
I couldn't agree more. In fact, it seems we're thinking the same thoughts. After this election I'm determined to take a more active role in community/state politics and issues. No matter who our president is, he doesn't work alone. We're all Americans together.
I'm also trying to be more Christ-like in my interactions with those who don't share my beliefs. I can be more patient. More calm. I can smile more, say 'hello' to those I meet. In short, I'm going to do better at loving people as Christ loves people. (It's a lot to live up to, but I'll start from where I'm at now.)
Thanks for your up-beat and positive post!
Post a Comment