I can't understand why radio stations play non-stop Christmas music all November plus during December. It annoys me to death. I did email the offending radio stations last year, but obviously to no avail. Now, I discovered another station who has turned all holly, jolly 24/7. That makes three stations along the Wasatch front with all-day-all-night-until-Christmas holiday music. UGH!
Another real irritant-- Walmart. Now, generally speaking, Walmart is not my favorite place to shop. However, having lots of medical bills coming in, two boys having birthdays 10 days apart, and getting started on the inevitable Christmas season, I've been frequenting Walmart regularly. In past months, I have noticed the "Walmart radio" station being softly played in the background. Now guess what they are BLARING over the speakers. Christmas music. You heard me. While one is casually perusing the boys' socks and underwear, she has to be constantly reminded that Christmas is a few short weeks away. Panic sets in and then that unsuspecting shopper starts loading her cart with Christmas presents. AAAGH! I understand that retailers' purpose is to get people to buy stuff. Boy are they doing a good job. From where I have been watching (and shopping) I can't see much of a slow down in dollars being spent.
Moral of the story-- shop online or not at all. Online retailers are promoting a lot of free shipping deals lately. The prices are generally competitive with the stores and often have added online deals. I've done a bit of online shopping for the past five years and love it! The added bonus-- I can listen to whatever I want while I shop. Oh, and I don't have to drive into the madhouse of Ogden/Riverdale/Layton, look for a parking spot a mile away, and then have some crazed lunatic driver bonk into my car or shake fists at me or stuff like that. Online shopping, baby!
4 comments:
"If you can't beat 'em, JOIN 'em." That's my philosophy when it comes to Christmas music. But I don't listen to the radio much. Not since I won my 60 gig i-pod when I worked at the USU bookstore. Earlier this week I loaded all my favorite Christmas CDs onto it. I've got 175 Christmas songs that I can put on random shuffle and listen to all day long! But don't worry. I usually save them for snowy days. (Remember, I'm the mom who digs out the Christmas music after the fist little accumulation of snowfall. We keep them out through January 1st.)
Don't get discouraged about Christmas shopping. It will all come to pass. Everything does. Even Christmas music.
I'm with you. I start my Christmas shopping in about August, but I don't want to hear Christmas music until it's "officially" the Christmas season ... the music isn't as magical when it's the wrong time of year.
And I love online shopping. A few days ago, the UPS man came yet again and I had to laugh about how he's becoming my good friend. :)
The Christmas music does panic me. You are right about that. I hadn't really made the connection. Yesterday at Kohl's it was playing and I started thinking that I really haven't done a thing to prepare for Christmas yet. Oh well. I love Christmas music though. It's just a bit too early. I like to have snow on the ground. It seems odd to hear it when it's still fall. Like listening to Christmas music while raking the lawn just doesn't work. I know lots of people who put it on the day after Halloween. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Julie you are too cute, and I love reading your posts, but actually I am way excited for christmas...then I can clean out my closet...well for a few days anyway. I love to after christmas shop. It's a great time to buy pajamas, holiday dresses, sweaters etc. at really great prices. I feel like it gives me a real head start for the next year. I know I'm weird. But really I just can't pass up a $40 sweater, on clearance for $4...my grandma and Rich's Grandma done just like that...and I don't know about you but I think grandma's are hard to buy for, unless you give them lotion or chocolate or something like that, but that's what everyone gives them. I plan on mailing them Dec. 1st, then they can wear them for the whole month. I keep telling myself how smart I am, I'm not sure if it's smart or insane! Ah well, I'm with Christie, if you can't beat em, join em. :)
Post a Comment