Wednesday, October 15, 2008

To serve or not to serve, that is the question

I just finished watching the last of the presidential debates. I told myself that watching them wouldn't help me make my decision any faster or better informed, and I was right. I agree and disagree with both canidates. Sadly, I also fall into that category of Americans that have lost trust and good faith in my federal government.

Today I read on my friend's blog about her beliefs that our Founding Fathers didn't have professional politicians in mind when forming the Constitution and our system of government. That may be true, but largely due to the fact that they couldn't see 200+ years into the future to view not only the size (geographically), population, technological advances, and moral decay that now constitutes the United States of America. Frankly, our government wouldn't function without those willing to spend their lives in professional service to our country's government. That isn't to say that all officials are benevolent creatures, far from it in my mind, but I am grateful that there are those willing, locally and nationally, to serve in this capacity. Maybe someday I'll join their ranks. How? Well, I don't know yet.

Before my introduction to invalid society, I had grand aspirations of going down to the homeless shelter once a week for an hour to help sort donations or something. I want to do something helpful, but I'm not sure how helpful 1 hour each week is in the community service world. I know that it is just right for helping out teachers at the school, but what about elsewhere? I have also thought about going to the retirement homes and reading or playing games with the residents, but I wish I knew more what would be most welcome or needed.

I read recently that the younger children are when exposed to being involved in service opportunities, the more likely they are to adopt that service mindset as an adult. I hope that Todd and I have done this for our children. We try to do a formal family service activity each year at least, but I hope our example of being caring neighbors, praying for others, helping family when needed, etc. is enough exposure to open their hearts to serving others.

I end with a request for your comments regarding community service opportunities you've discovered or activities that you have done with your family (or others) that have had an impact on you or your children. I know that not everyone comments here, so if you'd like, you can email me directly. Hope to hear your ideas and experiences soon!

4 comments:

Allie's Antics said...

I am always looking for just the right service project fo r my kids. I agree with you that it is so important for our kids to see us serving humanity. By doing things other than our obligated church service, our kids can see that we truly care about society in general. I try to have my kids do a non-church service activity once a month. They can help an elderly person do yard work, help our inactive neighbor move pipe. I also think it's so important to emphasize that church service is something we do because we love the Lord. Not something we do just because we are members of the church. Does any of that make sense? I will be excited to hear other peoples comments on service. What a great idea. Last year when I went to Africa our whole community just pitched in with gathering items for me to take over. This year my son is hopefully going to be going with me. I will treasure this trip forever! Nothing makes for a happier home when everyone serves one another. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Wow, now that is quite the question. I love the fact that you are asking. I stumbled upon your site and I am so glad I did. I have come to realize we all serve in different ways. I served on the local school board for 7 years. I was not re-elected for a third term because the teacher's union didn't like the fact that I wouldn't eliminate our music program so they could have raises. I know I made a huge difference while I served and I watch so many kids find a "safe Haven" in the high school band for the next 11 years. When I worked in my daughter's classroom she came home one day and told me a friend said "your mom must really love you, she comes to work in our classroom". You just never know when the small things you do are really helping others. We have sold cinnamon rolls to earn money to make a quilt for a friend who witnessed a murder, we have written notes to missionaries, we have sold lemonade to send money to an organization that helps families pay for adoptions. We doorbell ditch and take goodies every Christmas. One year we went to the home of a recent convert. We decided to sing Christmas carrols and his wife told us later he was so touched because no one had ever done that before. He was 54 years old. Last week I was standing in line at Disneyland and the sister in line ahead of me recognized me from the articles I write for Meridian magazine. She thanked me over and over for the information in the articles. I have been discouraged because I wondered if I was really serving,I get so few comments on my blog even with thousands of visits and only a few notes after I publish an article,now I know, I have been serving her. I guess my point is to just be prayerful and listen to the spirit and you will be guided to do what is needed.

Flashlight Girl said...

Thank you Allie and Carolyn for your encouragement and ideas! Carolyn, welcome! I'm not sure how you stumbled upon me, but I glad you are here. I'm so glad you supported your school district's music programs. They were a haven for me during high school, too.

As the holiday season gets ever nearer, and I'm looking at all of my hospital bills, I'm trying to focus even more than usual on providing a Christmas focused on others--not the gifts we want to buy or receive. Thanks for your support, ladies.

Christie said...

Hi! My Grandma and my hudband's granpa were in retirement homes during their last years. They're always looking for musical talent to perform for the home's residents. You would be a hit! I'm sure you can find a like-minded accompanist to go with you. As a youth I looked forward to the day when I could teach my kids songs and have them perform at retirement homes. Alas, none of my children enjoy performing. But I occasionally am the fill-in piano player for the weekly sing-alongs at a retirement home a few blocks away. I love it! I've also enjoyed serving on my library's "Friends" organization. I did the PR for them when they got a big million dollar donation. I learned a lot and served my community too! I'm sure you'll find something that's a fit for you. In the meantime, sing. Sing a song. :)