Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I'm NOT a Quitter

Generally speaking, I'm not a quitter. I don't believe in "giving up" either. So when I made the difficult decision to simplify my life, be a decent mother, and give myself more time for recuperation someone says, "So, Julie you've given up." WHAT? It hurt.

Let me explain. My stake activities people combine with a neighboring stake every few years to put on a musical showcase of sorts. Last time, just before we moved here, they put on Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat. No small potatoes. This fall they are doing an Irving Berlin Extravaganza. I participated in the first couple of practices (3 hours each) and then had knee surgery #1. I got in another practice the week before surgery #2, but haven't been for a month. They are now practicing two nights a week until the performance on November 8. That's 6 hours a week.

I've been looking forward to this event for months! I love singing with a choir and these people can SING! They are having a jazz band to accompany the songs and dancers, too. Costumes, bright lights, the works. On the flip side of all this grand music-- hours and hours required to practice.

Life being what it is these days, I decided to put aside something fun for what is necessary. You know, the "Good, Better and Best" of my choices. If Project Man were home on week nights, maybe I could justify the long practices. BUT, he's working so I can be home to mother my children. Doesn't it defeat the purpose of all his hours of hard work if I go gallivanting off into the world for hours on end just for fun?

Bottom line, I guess I am a quitter to some. I'm not going to view things in that light, however. I want to consider myself as "not running faster than [I] have strength." Oh, and if I need another scriptural back-up, maybe this isn't my "season" yet. Justification is so soothing.

3 comments:

Christie said...

I can't believe someone said your were a quitter. Obviously they don't know you very well. I applaud you for your sacrifice. When my kids were little, there were many things that I wanted to do, but I could see that it would take away from my family, from mothering young children. Like you said, you have to be aware of the season. With my kids all in school and fairly self-sufficient at home, I'm probably in a different season than you, but seasons change. You'll get here and there will be time to do fun things like the muscial production you've wisely pulled out of. It's not often that we talk about personal sacrifice, but I feel like you've made a personal sacrifice in order to serve your family. You can't know what blessings will result, but I know that you'll be amply blessed. Keep your eyes open. :) (You're awesome! And continually inspire me.)

Allie's Antics said...

Wow! That sounds like a very intense production! I think you are wise in reconsidering. I just got back from visiting teaching. We were talking about all the pull that our communities have on mothers. Even to an extent, our church. I totally agree with your decision to opt out. You are definitely not a quitter. You are seeing the big picture of things. Your kids will be grateful for your choice!

Liz H said...

YOU BIG QUITTER!

It's about time you joined the human people. ;-) I know you love those things, but you are no quitter and letting someone from the tall and spacious building taunt you with a decision (albeit painful) that you know is right and confirmed by the spirit is no place to put yourself. There will be time for plays later, and really if not, sing your heart out in church and make up for it.

There are different seasons for different things in our lives, but we were foreordained to be mothers - good ones too. You have nothing to apologize for in that decision. Besides, if you say no now, they might stop asking and then you'll have fewer decisions to make later.

This is just me. Ignore, laugh or cry. If you do any of the above please notify me so I can quit (notice the quit word) posting rude things on your site. Can I get the number of the name caller?