Thursday, July 10, 2008

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Sunday evening Project Man announced that I need to sing more. He even had a request: "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". I explained that although I love to sing, I'm thinking that it might be one of those "time of life" issues I hear so much about. (I'm still trying to figure out if it's just an excuse for not accomplishing all the things I want to or a "be patient" learning expression.) Undaunted by my lack of enthusiasm, he reissued his request that he wanted to hear me sing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" soon.

Being the dutiful and kind wife that I am, (chuckling) I looked through my stash of music to discover that I didn't have a copy of the music. Next step, the internet. The things one can find online simply astounds me. There are a number of great sheet music sites that you simply type in what you're looking for and "voila" there are suddenly a half a dozen arrangements to choose from. You can even transpose the music into a key that works better for you're playing or singing ability. So cool! Long story shorter. . . I downloaded a copy of the music and am working on learning to play it and sing it at the same time. No small feat for a gal like me. With any luck, by next Sunday Project Man can sit down for a mini concert in the living room. It's so nice to have an appreciative audience.

Just for historical purposes: Very often on Sunday evenings since Todd and I have owned a piano, he has laid back on the couch and listened to me play and sing for about a half an hour. He's a very understanding audience accepting my many piano mishaps and stops and starts while I'm working out the kinks of a song. I mostly play hymns and a little Broadway. Once in awhile Todd wants me to sing a song from that day's meetings that he liked and wants to hear again. Before the little concert is over, the children have found their way into the room and are laying around listening, too. It's one of those funny little things that I love about Sundays, my husband, and being blessed with a few talents.

4 comments:

Christie said...

Can I come for a Sunday concert? That sounds like a little bit of heaven. I could just picture it in my mind, but I'd like some audio. Hey! What if we figure out how to post audio on our blogs? I could post my creepy witch's cackle, and you could post your beautiful singing. How about it?

Allie's Antics said...

I would love to hear your singing, and Christie's witch cackle! I also play for my husband on occasion. I always wonder why he likes it. I wish I could sing also. Just piano for our concerts!

Jigglebuns said...

I'll be sure to send Randy down for the concert. I have been too busy to do any recently. Of course my singing leaves MUCH to be desired. :0)

Liz H said...

I love your voice. I can see the calming therapy in that. I like to play the piano for the boys when they go to bed. I try and play the Primary songs they are learning this year. I don't do well with an active audience, but I love that they fall asleep to the Primary music. The problem is that it takes me a year to learn how to play all the songs and then the year is up and I have to start all over again. You'd think I'd start getting better by now, but it's not happening. You'll know I'm good when I volunteer to play at the Branch.