Sunday, June 15, 2008

Update of June activities





Wow. It's been a long time since I last sat down to write. Summer is in full swing, and we have been busy. Last week, we took a trip with my parents and siblings' families (most of them) to San Diego, California. We had a marvelous time. My kids loved, loved, loved Sea World. I have to admit that the Artic Animal Exhibit was fabulous. The underwater observation areas were so cool. Where else can you get within inches of an enormous polar bear, humongus walruses and beluga whales? So awesome. The shows were great, too. I think everyone's favorite was the sea lion show--very funny.

Kids are funny. Even though they loved Sea World and seeing the ocean. I think they would have been content to hang out at the pool at the resort for a week. They just loved playing with cousins and being with Grandma and Grandpa. I love that my parents work really hard to provide opportunities for us all to be together for extended periods of time. My siblings and their families are so fun, and we love to hang out with them!


One of our little family traditions is that we listen to audiobooks on road trips. We've been doing this for years and everyone loves it. Granted, it is getting harder to find books that interest everyone, fill the kids' AR school list and levels, and that aren't 12 hours long. This trip we listened to Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson. Jim Dale reads the story and is fantastic!!! Great family book! I read the book last summer and knew that the kids would enjoy it. Listening to audiobooks is about the only "for fun" reading that Todd gets to do, so he loves listening, too. We do have a DVD player in the van, but overall, we prefer the audiobooks.

A couple of things from the past few weeks:

David called 911. Yup, it really works. I was outside watering the garden when Jacob came running out of the house handing me the phone. On the line was the Weber Co. dispatch. Even though all was well, they are still require to send out an officer to check if all is okay. I promptly hauled David out to the front step to wait for the police officer to show up. I tried to impress upon David that we only call 911 for real emergenices and that he would need to tell the officer he was sorry for calling just for fun. He was gravely serious and asked, "Will they take me to jail?" Okay, I have to admit that I was tempted to work on his sense of guilt for a minute, but I refrained. I told him that he wouldn't go to jail, but that he could never do it again unless it was an emergency. When the officer came, he was really nice, but made David promise to only use the 911 number for emergencies. He shook David's hand, took my information and left. David was visibly relieved, but still serious. I don't think he'll do that again!

Amber survived her first year of Girls' Camp. Although Todd and I really stressed out over this, she seems to have enjoyed her week and wants to go again next year. (Better camper than her mother.)

Jacob and Jesse went to basketball camp. This opened Jesse's eyes to the fact that new things, although a bit scary at first, can be fun. They loved comparing stories and how their teams did, etc. They even had to get up at 7:00 am each day to be there on time. No complaints, just fun times.

Dallin has been a bit bored with summer vacation. If only his mother would let him ride his bike to the church by himself or let him play video games all day. . .

The addition is coming along. We've poured the foundation and will start taking off the bricks from the back of the house tomorrow. I'm concerned that Flashlight Girl's skills may ultimately evolve into sitting with the boys cleaning off bricks. UGH!


Todd and I celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary Saturday. Holy smokes! I think I must have been REALLY young when we got married, because I'm still a young gal, right?

2 comments:

Christie said...

Yes, you DID get married very young. But when the right guy comes along, you do what you've gotta do. Congratulations! Sounds like your summer has been eventful and fun. Ours is shaping up to be that way too. Catch you soon!

Kelsie said...

Welcome back! What a fun trip--I love Sea World and Rob has never been in his whole life, so we'll have to make a stop there, some day.

And Happy Anniversary ... I read this yesterday and told Rob it had been your 17th anniversary. He was amazed and had to read it for himself before he could really believe it. :) We have to laugh that some of his high school friends now have their own kids in high school--and here we are, just barely starting out!