Saturday, May 16, 2015

Lots of Running Around

The last couple of days have been the Utah State High School Track and Field Championship at BYU. This season, Jacob was appointed one of the captains for the Fremont High team and has worked so hard to qualify for the state meet.  His 4x100m relay team and his medley relay team finally qualified at one of the last of the season's meets.  On Friday, his 4x100m team qualified for the finals on Saturday.  So both days I drove to Provo to watch youth race around the track, throw things, jump high and far, and basically look like this whole moving your body thing is exhilarating and fun.  I enjoyed the whole thing.  The rain pelted everyone and chilled the athletes, but still they were loving the experience.  Watching the athletes inspired me to want to run fast, too. I have never been very fast and as I get older and fatter, I am even slower.  I still try to envision myself as a "fast" runner.

This morning was also the Ogden Marathon, 1/2 marathon and 5k.  In February, I convinced Amber that we should run in the 5k. I really would love to run another 1/2 marathon, but let's be honest, I am an injury waiting to happen.  In the last few years, every time I try to increase my mileage beyond 8 miles I get injured enough to set me back 6 months.  It just isn't worth it.  So, I will be content and enjoy the 5k.  Today was soggy, but fun.  The race began early near the mouth of Ogden canyon and ended downtown at 25th and Grant.  I ran faster than I had hoped, probably inspired by all of the young runners I had been watching.  Now don't get me wrong. I don't run fast, but for me, it was a good time. 32:43. That's an average of 10:30 per mile.  I have gained 20 pounds since my last big race (10 years ago).  That makes a difference.  Even though I have tried to lose it, it doesn't want to go anywhere.  I am trying to live my life in an active, happy way and running (jogging, slogging along) is part of that.  So I will embrace my 32:43 and be grateful that I can run!

Back to the track meet. . .
Jacob's 4x100m team finished 7th in the 5A school division.  Not bad for a team of juniors.  They didn't have the best run of the season, but decent, and they got to go to the state meet.  That was really the goal for these boys from the beginning, but now that they have had a taste, they want to make it next year and do even better.  I am sure they will and I will be there to witness!

It was really good for me to be there to support Jacob.  Todd couldn't go due to work commitments, but I knew that although Jacob didn't ask for us to come, he wanted us there.  He was happy, looked for me after his events and even wanted me to give him a ride home on Saturday instead of staying for the end of the meet.  I took him to lunch before heading out of Provo and it was wonderful.  He talked about trying to go to a small college to play football, how cool and inclusive track kids are in general, and what a great couple of days it had been for him.  I am so glad that I didn't miss this!  He is growing up and he is a great young man.

Life is good.  Maybe running a little slower and enjoying the experience rather than racing through life will bring me the most joy in the end.

No comments: