The past weekend was General Conference. I look forward to conference and really am grateful that I can listen to it in my home. In the past we've done a few different things to try to get the children to pay attention to who is speaking. One of those things was to buy a treat that was representative of each apostle and when that apostle spoke we could eat that snack. It was fun to plan together the treats we would buy and talk about why we thought that particular food item was chosen. However, we soon discovered that it was too much snacking. This conference, I just bought a few random snacks to eat only during conference. That worked out a lot better, but I don't know if the children looked forward to certain speakers or not. They certainly have their favorite speakers though. We all look forward to Elder David Bednar since we've met him and everyone has had the chance to shake his hand. The older boys like Elder Jeff Holland's direct style. Todd and I eagerly listen to Pres. Henry Eyring, and we all love to hear Pres. Deiter Uchtdorf. I love Elder Todd Christofferson's thoughtful messages. They usually stay in my mind long after the conference is over. Generally there are surprise favorites from the members of the Seventy, but we have learned to enjoy listening together and discussing our favorites afterwards.
Some of my favorite moments from our conference family time:
1. On Saturday, Dallin, David and I braided paracord bracelets to donate to the elementary school for rewards for the children who participate in the new Recess Runners program. It was great to watch Dallin work and listen. I think he pays closer attention when his hands are busy. He even said that this was the first time that he really remembers conference being interesting and enjoyable.
2. Watching the News of the Church and other special programs between general sessions with Amber. We both love those kinds of programs. I wish there were more things like that on television to enjoy together.
3. During the Sunday afternoon session, I had just finished cleaning up the lunch mess and was headed back into the familyroom to watch when I noticed that Jesse was watching the conference all alone. We don't usually require the children to watch every session and by Sunday afternoon, the kids are usually tired and want to play outside. Jesse, however, all on his own, chose to listen to conference instead. It was a wonderful thing to witness. By half way through the session, the rest of the family had trickled in to watch, too. I have such good children. So grateful for that.
No comments:
Post a Comment