Wednesday, December 1, 2010

This morning I worked at the Ogden Cannery doing beef chunks for the Bishop’s Storehouse. I’ve worked at the cannery a number of times, but mostly canning things for myself. Today, however, was a welfare assignment. Since I get dizzy watching the turntable of meat go around, I generally end up back in the labeling section. Easy, non-dirty work, but the rub here is that when you aren’t physically working, the time creeps by rather slowly. I found myself thinking about Elder Todd Christofferson’s talk from this last conference on living a “Consecrated Life”. He talks about five values associated with consecrating one’s life to God. One of those principles was work. Work, no matter how menial or trivial, is worth doing well. Work in and of itself is good. The work at the cannery was doubly good as it is designed to “feed the hungry” and “lift up the hands that hang down”. As I stood on a step looking over the labeling machine, I could observe many of my fellow ward/stake members smiling, chatting and being happy in their service. Those people are even more awesome in my book now. (They were cool before, but I really like them well today.) As I stood on my perch pondering the blessing of work, faithful members, service missionaries, and the like, I concluded that I am immensely blessed.

1 comment:

Child Family said...

That was my favorite talk from conference. So glad you liked it too. I keep re-reading it because it is full of great stuff!