Sunday, November 8, 2009

A Day of Eternal Significance

Jacob was ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood today. Sometimes it is so hard for me to have my children grow up, but this is a milestone that we have been anticipating for a long time. Jacob is such a good young man. He works very hard at school and sports, but more importantly, he recognizes the importance of keeping the commandments and being a good example. Not that he always does. He is his parents’ child after all. But it’s important to him that his friends don’t swear or talk bad about girls. He gets so excited when he discovers one of his friends is LDS (church doesn’t really come up that often in the discussions of little boys apparently). He has a couple of friends who aren’t LDS and some who aren’t active, but Jacob isn’t shy about letting others know that he does go to church and plans on serving a mission. He is lucky in that in our ward we have some very cool young men that he looks up to and wants to be accepted by. They are good together and encourage each other in the gospel. That is a great blessing .

My grandpa was able to come and participate in the ordination today. As he shook Jacob’s hand he shared a great thought. He said that in his day there was a Senator who was also an apostle. His name was Reed Smoot. Grandpa said that Bro. Smoot said in General Conference at one time that he’d rather be a deacon in the Aaronic Priesthood than the President of the United States any day. Then Grandpa said, “I agree with that.” It is so wonderful to have such a faithful family. I am so blessed to have the heritage that I do. I’m glad to share that heritage with my children.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Oh how wonderful!

We're getting close to that day ourselves, and it's hard to imagine!

I'm glad Jacob has the desires to do good. And what do you mean 'with parents like us'?!? You both are awesome examples and he'd do great to be just like either of you!

Amber said...

Congratulations Jacob! Love days like that...deposits in the mommy bank! Deposits are always good...cause they sure know how to withdraw too! :)

Anonymous said...

I thought about Jacob a ton yesterday. Give him a hug from me. Of course he wants to be a good kid, he has great parents to guide him along and be there if he messes up. I'm glad that it was a good day, love ya!

Christie said...

I love those milestone days! We had one about a week earlier. Our oldest was ordained to the office of Priest in the Aaronic Priesthood.

Perhaps a year ago during a sacrament meeting when my son was passing the sacrament, I could see that the Bishop was getting a little aggitated as he watched the deacons about to finish passing the sacrament. He caught my son's attention, whispered something to him, and Bug went off to see that someone wasn't overlooked.

As I sat there it struck me how important the Aaronic Priesthood is. I guess that I've idolized missionaries a bit, particularly because they get to share the gospel. But think about it -- deacons, teachers, priests -- they share the gospel, the cleansing ordinance of the sacrament, every week with the members of their ward. Converting others to the church is important, but repenting and applying the power of the atonement is just as important. A light went on, and I hope to always remember how important those Aaronic Priesthood holders are. :)