With a house full of boys, Project Man and I take the counsel to prepare our sons for serving LDS missions very seriously. I'm sure some would label our techniques as "brainwashing" and that's fine. If it helps them be excited, prepared, and protected so be it. Obviously many conversations revolve around missions, missionaries from our family, missionaries from our ward, etc. With this in mind a couple of conversations I've had with David over the past few weeks are priceless.
Conversation #1
David: Mom, I'm not going on a mission.
Me: Really? Why not?
David: Because I'll be all alone. You won't be there, will you? (Almost crying.)
Me: No, I won't be there, but you'll have a companion that will live with you and be with you all of the time. In fact, the only time you'll be alone is in the bathroom. (The word bathroom always sparks interest in small boys.)
David: (With big eyes and giggling) Really? Okay, then maybe I'll go.
Conversation #2
David: Mom, I'm not going on a mission.
Me: Really? Why not?
David: Because there are Komodo Dragons out there that can poison and kill me!
Me: Oh, honey, they only live in Indonesia and zoos. Besides they usually stay in the jungle anyway.
David: But how do you get to choose where you go?
Me: Well, the prophet makes a decision about where Heavenly Father wants you to serve. Maybe you could go on a mission to California.
David: Do they have Komodo Dragons in California?
Me: I don't think so.
David: California is far away. Maybe I could go on a mission to Ogden.
Me: Maybe. Maybe somewhere like Idaho or Wyoming. That's not too far away.
David: Do they have Komodo Dragons?
Me: Wyoming is mostly a desert.
David: Do they have tarantulas? Or scorpions?
Me: I'm not sure, but I'm sure you'll be fine, honey.
David: I think I'm going to go to Ogden for my mission. That's sounds the best.
6 comments:
how funny! We'll see if when he is 19 he still wants to serve in Ogden!!!
So cute! But if I have those conversations with a little one some day, I think I'll be the one trying to hold back my tears and saying "Maybe you could serve in Ogden?!"
I'm laughing out loud! How cute! When my brother was between four and five we had a general authority come for Stake Conference. Afterwards my mom and dad went with us up to shake his hand. He asked my brother where he was going when he turned 19. My brother acted a little perplexed. The GA gave him another clue: You'll be gone for two years. My brother remembered . . . "Oh vacation!" he said.
You just never know what little hummers are thinking about missions. David sounds darling!
I think it's great your are getting them all prepared. They will be great missionaries. I was shocked to hear that missionaries are having to leave the MTC simply because they cannot live without their cell phones. Very sad. We must prepare these young boys!
I think David is a gem. Loved this post!! Check out the shout out I gave you on my blog this week. You are the best.
Very cute! And I feel validated now for using every Fast Sunday as an opportunity to beg that my boys serve in Montana (yes, we still live in Washington). I feel your son's pain!lol
Post a Comment