Tuesday, January 19, 2016

New Adventures

Last year Todd bought me a pair of snow shoes and we went one time before the snow melted.  This year, gratefully, we've had lots more snow and so far I have ventured out snowshoeing with Todd three times. Saturday was by far my most adventurous attempt yet. We decided to go up the North Ogden Divide trail. I have never been on that trail in the summer let alone when it is covered in 3 feet of snow, but Todd has mountain-biked there and thought it would be fun. He assured me that it wasn't very long, but it was steep.  The last time we went the snow was great and I had a lot of fun. The weather was warmish as a storm was coming, but we figured we would miss most of the storm if we hustled.

The drive to the trailhead goes up a narrow canyon road that was clear of snow until the last half mile or snow before the summit.  4-wheel drive. Great invention!  Todd, of course, didn't want to park on the road so we flipped the switch to engage the 4-wheel drive and plowed up the road to the parking lot. Or rather, what would be the parking lot, but was covered in a foot of snow and churned around by other brave, or crazy, drivers. Out we go, slap on those snow shoes and start up the trail.   The conditions were great and there were quite a few folks coming back down the trail who seemed happy.  The trail follows through the trees for the most part and it was beautiful!

 About midway up the trail we hit a switch back that instead of staying in the trees, cut across the side hill.  The wind had picked up and the trail had been drifted over with snow.  It was rough going.  Todd was far enough ahead of me that by the time I came to his tracks, they were already beginning to fill in with snow.  I struggled across that part of the trail and even fell once, but was able to catch my fall with my hand before I completely tumbled. Problem was I had taken off my gloves because I was so warm from the uphill climb. Now I had wet, cold hands that needed to dry off a bit before I tried to shove them back into my gloves. Once past that part of the trail, it was in the trees until the last ascent.

The last part of the trail was so steep and a little icy that Todd thought that it might be better if we tried to cut across and make some of our own switchbacks.  We started along, but the snow was so deep that even with snowshoes we were sinking to our knees.  I had only gone about 15 yards when I lost my balance and fell over completely.  I was stuck. My snow shoes were a bit tangled and I was pretty far down in the snow.  My sweet husband trekked back and pulled me out.  We decided to head back down and try to get to the top another day -- and bring our poles to help.  On the way down, Todd went ahead a bit and pulled out his little backpack stove and heated up a can of soup to share.  I am grateful he did.  Although it had started to snow and waiting for the soup to get warm was cold and wet, the soup tasted great and gave us both the energy to head down the hill.

As we approached that pesky side hill, we discovered that the trail had been completely blown in with snow and we (Todd) were going to have to break a new trail.  Todd was such a trooper as he bravely moved forward a bit at a time trying to tromp the trail enough for me to follow without falling.  He did a great job!

By the time we made it to the parking lot, we were wet and tired, but what a great couple of hours!  I always worry that I can't keep up with Todd on these adventures, but gladly he wasn't out to race to the top. He loves to just be on the mountain and to feel the peace and enjoy the beauty around him.  I love that about him.

1 comment:

Christie said...

This reminds me of the year that I was hiking and writing about it for the HJ. In the winter I would snowshoe. Your hike definitely sounds more adventurous than anything I tried on snowshoes. Good for you!