Amber received her Driver's permit in April after a lot of study and stress. She's been practicing and passed her Driver's Ed class & the driving range, but hasn't taken the actual road test to get her license yet. She's doing pretty well, but maybe needs some more practice.
Last Thursday night our stake held a youth movie night at the Stake Center which is only a half mile from our home. I had to go early to help with set up so I thought that if Amber came a little bit early with Jacob, it would be okay if she drove them up without adult supervision. Come on, it's only a half mile. Well, the only available vehicle was Todd's Ford Expedition. It is a little big, but again it's only a half mile. Amber and Jacob made it to the church in one piece, but Amber said she was struggling with how she had parked, so I went out to see and make adjustments. Her parking was ok, but since there would be a lot of other cars there that night when they would be leaving, I decided to repark the car facing out so she could leave the parking lot more easily.
Well, the night was fun, the kids had a great time, Todd even managed to join us for the last hour. After the activity, I needed to stay to clean up and the boys were willing to help so told Amber that it would be okay if she drove herself home. Again, it's only a half mile.
Only a few minutes later, Amber called from her cell phone-- FRANTIC. The conversation went something like this:
Amber: "MOM!!! I ran over Vaughn's mailbox! (sobbing & hysteria)"
Me: "What? But the Vaughn's mailbox is on the other side of the road. How in the heck?"
Amber: "Just come home. I don't know what to do. Dad's going to KILL me! (more sobbing)"
Gratefully, Todd just happened to walk past me in the church. I grabbed him, told him what happened and he sped off to survey the damage. Apparently, Amber had decided to change the radio station, but since she isn't very familiar with the Expedition, she leaned way over to get a good look and let the car drift across the road and right over the top of our neighbor's mailbox. Thank heavens it was a dopey mailbox on a little pole and not a bricked mailbox.!! Or a power pole! Or another car! Needless to say, Todd was exasperated and not happy. The next day Todd called our neighbor that has a body shop and took the car over for a repair estimate. $500! Whoa. Then Todd spent most of Saturday putting up a new mailbox for our neighbor. This is a much better mailbox (cemented post, new everything) and looks great. Let's just hope the rest of our children can avoid hitting it.
Oh, and Jacob took the written driver's exam on New Year's Eve and passed. So now I have two teenagers begging to drive. I think I am going to be in the market for a piece of junk car that car survive a lot of damage.
1 comment:
And it begins!! How lucky you are!
Post a Comment