Friday, December 5, 2008

Scriptural Musings

Last night, Amber and I went to her "Night of Excellence" for Young Women. The theme centered around a "T" party. "T" is for talents/gifts. The woman that was the guest speaker did a fine, entertaining, motivating job. I don't know if the girls were inspired, but I was. In an attempt to further explore what in the world my talents might be, I decided to read Romans 12 as per instructed by the speaker. I didn't get much farther than the 2nd verse. Verses 1 and 2 , if I'm getting the meaning right, directly speak to a conversation I'd had with a fellow ward member the night before about serving in the Church. Here are the verses:

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
And be not conformed to this world: but be you tansformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

Okay, now to backtrack to the previous night's conversation. We had been discussing some church matters when this woman says something to the effect of, "Well, this is a volunteer church after all. We need to remember that some may not be willing." I respect this woman, she is older and more experienced, but I disagreed with her. I, hopefully, politely expressed my belief that we aren't volunteers. We are "called" or asked to do a specific thing, and we willingly accept that assignment and then do our duty. Being a "volunteer" implys that one is only willing to do certain things, basically what one WANTS to do and that if one doesn't want to do something that person isn't held accountable because, after all, he/she has just graciously "volunteered." Where is the principle of obedience and sacrifice in that?

From what I understand of Romans 12:1-2, it is our actions that reflect our devotion and love for God. We are counseled to improve ourselves, stretch our capabilities, and diligently seek to discover and then fulfill the will of God. If we want our actions to be "acceptable" to God, how will simply "volunteering" for those assignments we find enjoyable, easy, or convenient be considered "a living sacrifice"?

I don't think that I'm wrong. I hope that I simply misunderstood her thoughts about volunteering in the Church. I know that she doesn't view herself as a "volunteer" and she isn't. She is a faithful servant. Why is it, however, we view or allow (or whatever you want to term it) those who often serve with us as unwilling to sacrifice a bit? I know there are a few that may fall into that category, but perhaps those of us who are in a position to teach or instruct in a better way haven't fulfilled our end of the deal. Maybe part of leadership's "living sacrifice" is giving a person the opportunity to learn and grow in a calling that is difficult or inconvenient. Wasn't it Alma that observed that the teaching of doctrine had a greater tendency to change a person's behavior better than any other thing?

For me this has been a double-edged sword. I have been taught by good leaders and teachers pure and sound doctrine and principles. But others have not. How do I then teach and counsel those that need to learn those same principles without being a nag or a know-it-all? Farther down in Romans 12:8, the gift of "exhortation" is mentioned. Exhort is a verb meaning "to urge by strong argument or appeal; admonish earnestly." If one has that gift (I don't think I do) I imagine he or she would be like the speakers at General Conference that urge us to improve. Rarely do I think people are offended, but want to do better. Right? So how is that same spirit of love and nurturance translated to those that need to receive a bit of "exhortation" to accept a difficult assignment?

I've never been a diplomatic person. My family will back me up on this. I get very nervous that I'm going to say something wrong or idiotic or jump to conclusions, etc. I often speak too much "in the energy of my soul." That being said, I believe that "For of him unto whom much is given much is required; and he who sins against the greater light shall receive the greater condemnation." (D&C 82:3) In essence, increased knowledge of truth and doctrine requires greater action and commitment. Link that with "Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neighter do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto ALL that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 5:14-16) One is not given knowlege simply to edify oneself. The knowledge is given that one might share it and "enlighten" others.

I know that I have the responsibility to share what I have learned. I hope that I can do it in a loving, productive, and edifying way. I'm interested to know others' thoughts on this. Please comment if this has got you thinking.

4 comments:

Allie's Antics said...

I love the scripture in Romans. I agree with you that this is not a volunteer church. I know that my husband, who loves to work and spend time with his family, would not simply just volunteer to be in the bishopric. He would not serve in this calling if he did not believe that we are called upon and chosen for our callings. I would not volunteer to be gone from my children every Tuesday night if I didn't strongly believe in being obedient and serving our Heavenly Father. If it were volunteer, I would do it about as half-heartedly as I do the PTA!

Christie said...

I chuckled out loud when you referred to yourself as being non-diplomatic. I too have that tendency. I can see what you're asking . . . how to we encourage others to step up and commit to full serving the Lord without implying that their efforts have been sub par? I'm learning that when I'm motivated by anger (when someone has minimized their calling and left a load for me) I should keep my mouth shut. Pretty much unless I can speak in love, I shouldn't speak. I'm especially bad at this as it applies to my maturing children. Too often I feel the need to speak in the moment when I should really cool off, think about what's happened and have a chat when I'm back to loving without unrighteous judgement.

Unfortunately, that doesn't happen very often. If ever. But at least I know what I should do. Doing it will come, eventually.

Child Family said...

Unfortunately there are many people who "volunteer" to serve in the church very much on their own terms. That seems to me to be the #1 way to remain permanently stuck. No progression. I wonder when we either get that or we don't. Is it in childhood? Is it based on what we saw from our parent's willingness to serve? I REALLY want my kids to get that.

Kelsie said...

I really like your thoughts on "volunteering" vs. being called and sacrificing to serve. There really is a big difference between the two, isn't there? I think the comment above mine is so true, that if we're simply "volunteering," we get stuck and don't progress.

And I'm pretty sure I don't have the gift of exhortation, either, but I appreciate those who do! Thanks for your thoughts on this ... it makes me want to serve with a more willing heart.